As time goes by

  • William
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
      I saw The Sons of the Pioneers at the road show of the Grand ol` opera. They were sold out at the KRNT Radio theatre. They often appeared with Roy Rodgers and he was my childhood hero. Dale could yodel and had a great set of lungs. My Grandfather took me as my dad thought that music to be old time. I also heard Woody Guthery and my grand parents knew him personally. They served Bonnie and Clyde Barrow Sunday dinner not long before they were blown to hell. There were not that many people here before the Baby Boom and folks knew each other. I used to sing Davy Crockett and went room to room in grade school. I had memorised eight verses and would run out of spit before I ran out of lyrics.
      It seems easy to become a crumedgeon and I know I am sometimes guilty. The old English authors you mentioned were not stressed in Catholic school and I know I missed them. We were busy memorising the Baltimore Catechism.
      The theatre I mentioned was the bastion of culture as this place was and is truly rural. In the middle of this big continent there are few cosmopolitan cities and back then radio was the only link to civilisation. I saw the great Gene Pitney at the KRNT. Remember "Town without pity"? The country people called the theatre "The crunt" and could not figure why the city people laughed at that usage. Bill
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
        As Time Goes Bye is one of my favorite British sitcoms! Anyway, I think it's interesting how Americans adopted British literature but the British adopted American music. The blues, jazz, R&B, and hip hop are all creations of our multicultural experience, then adopted and created anew with The Beatles, Rolling Stones, and Led Zeppelin. After going through much American folk music over the years, I find the Celtic stuff plucks my heartstrings. I have The Chieftains Long Black Veil, a collaboration with some excellent artists from other genres. I also really like Raising Sand, the Robert Plant, Allison Krauss collaboration. Mary
      • William
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2010
          "You must remember this ,a kiss is just a kiss a sigh is just a sigh. The fundamental things apply as time goes by.
          And when two lovers coo,they still say "I love you", on that you can rely, no matter what the future brings as time goes by.
          Moonlight and roses never out of date,hearts full of passion ,jealousy and hate. Woman needs man and man must have his mate,that no one can deny.
          It`s still the same old story,a fight for love and glory,a case of do or die.
          The world will always welcome lovers,as time goes by. "
          From memory. I think Hoagy Carmichael may have written this beauty but I am not sure.Bill