The leaks

  • William
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
      Mary, You know how I relate to beliefs, I try to avoid them whenever possible. Now the originator of this material is being charged with sex crimes. Interpol is looking for him. Vladimer Putin says it is of little importance as politicians pay little attention to middle level chatter. Putin was KGB aqnd understands the underground nature of diplomacy.
      In general I am happy we are talking more and shooting less. The Milatary industrial complex is facing probable cuts and any conflict they can gin up adds to their bottom line. The republicans want to cut domestic spending and fully fund the military. I think when Americans find out how that will reduce their individual lives they will repudiate the war making agenda. When six middle east leaders think the US should attack Iran I think we get a peek at the actual motovations in the mid east. That came from the leaks. That China is tired of its bellicose alley North Korea puts the rogue state between the worlds great powers Us and China.That came from the leaks. That the leaks come from US sources make me suspect our own propaganda and our madame Secretary would love to claim a change in Iran and North Korea as a stepping stone to the presidency. Obama is mired in gridlock and seems vulnerable. I would rather have a proven player like Hillary than a beauty queen like Palin. All in all a move toward peace seems in the general interest of the worlds people. But then that is the standard answer of most beauty queens. Bill
    • tom
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
        Bill
        Bill

        It's an ill wind that blows no good. The budget deficit problem hopefully will pit liberals against conservatives in congress in a more fierce battle. In the past, log rolling has often resulted in compromises where conservatives get some liberal support on military spending, and in turn the liberals get their own pork. As LBJ said in mid 60s, we are a rich nation and we can afford guns and butter. Hopefully, the states getting strapped for cash might be forced to let go some of the many victimless criminals costing so much to keep there. The war on terror has been an excuse to keep expanding the military industrial complex like in cold war days. It would be like Tyson being told by his steroid pusher that he needs to continue increasing his steroid dosage he took before his Lennox Lewis fight, even though Tom and Bill are now his only challengers. As for beauty queens and peace, Palin is big on war and her son is in Iraq.The military industrial complex no more wants peace than the DEA wants a drug free America.

        Peace
        Tom
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
          Tom, before Suz wacks us for not spouting her acedemic agenda this relates to existentialism through the notions of truth and world justice. Certainly existentialists have been concerned for such matters especially during the latter times of Sartre and Camus.
          Now, Why would the US sell multi billions of arms to the Saudi kingdom. What would happen if Iran was neutralised. Saudi would have only Israel to defend against and the US already guarantees that arrangement.When Sen Kyle holds up a nuclear treaty to insure his own state pork I think he should be branded a war monger. You live in that region so what do you say? When Sen Harkin rails against agricultural subsidy cuts I can point to world hunger issues.
          I ask for a priorities list. Food,clean water,shelter and clothing seem to head that list to me. Causing fear within people is very low on my list. Incarserating people for victimless crimes has a very low priority on that list, building more world killing weapons systems is low on that list.
          Now it is jobs,jobs,jobs but what is being done in that job? Are they insurance jobs that just cost us all more or are they jobs that build the things we need. This brings the very concept of government into focus. Is the government here to control us or as existentialists are we responsible for that ourselves. The endless ranking of bureaucracys is directly in opposition to our founding notions of individual freedom and equality. What of the bottom line profit motive of multinationals. They are a crazy force for chaos that may or may not do anything to help humans.
          These leaks open up some of these hidden agendae and therefore they have merit. That the despotic controllers rail against them is pertanent. The leaders, some elected,some not, prosecute the wars and incarserations, if are truly just actions why not have them examined in the light. We cannot make good decisions if we know nothing but propaganda. Bill
          Message 4 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
            I agree and would add love (simple affection), appreciation of unmanufactured beauty and peace, and time to experience them. I believe great people and great civilizations insist on both experiences. Mary

            Message 5 of 7 , Dec 1, 2010
              Sorry, that sounded idiotic. I realize governments aren't in the business of providing such things, but perhaps merely an environment in which they aren't suffocated. I also recently read Margaret Atwood's Oryx and Crake and its dystopian gloom is lingering. I'm very poorly trying to say that in order to live well, we need both kinds of experiences. Art is created, not manufactured, and we need that as well. Mary