Re: Less tumult

  • William
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 4, 2010

      > I don't think the US being bullied is a very strong probability. World opinion of the US has decreased greatly since the turn of the century. With the cold war, the USSR was seen by the world in such a negative light, that the US having a huge military budget, with troops around the world, and the CIA arranging coues was perceived by the world as necesary to prevent USSR expansion. But with the ending of the USSR, the global presence and huge military budget of the US, and current involvement with two wars in the mideast resulted in the US being perceived in increasingly negative terms.World opinion of the US has improved under Obama,but as long as the US has troops all over the world, a bigger military budget than all its potential enemies together, and makes a practice of invading and occupying 3rd world countries, the US will be increasingly distrusted and incite the hate and resentment that inspires terrorism. Of course, like the link I sent you last week suggesting Alchida may be a CIA front group, if this is the case the huge military budget might be actually increasing the risks of terrorism against Americans.
      >
      > Peace
      > Tom

      If you have noticed the Dow is way up on this news, money is pouring into the market as there is no place else to put it. Commodities are especially strong as investors want something behind their investments beside promises. So now to satisfy the moderator mandate I would ask what you think about following legal business practices regardless of their affect on many others. For example I will support the republican cut off of unemployment benefits as the % tax is most onerous to me. Our leftist members may claim moral reservations but I could care less. Business is business,war is war, investment is investment and each are subject to their own regulation. There is no overreaching morality,especially in existentialism. I am free to accomplish my own survival. Bill