Folk and Home

  • irvhal
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
      If polls are correct, tomorrow Rand Paul should be elected senator from Kentucky. Much has been marshalled to stop him -- revelations that as a young student he liked Nietzsche; that he's received, though it's a relative pittance, donations from "white separatists"; and even claims of condoning violence against women after his security detail took down an itinerant female leftist that accosted him before a debate. Though loathed by urban cosmopolitans, he enthralls our Scot-Irish rural folk. He condemns the unfettered Latino invasion as incompatible with a welfare state (and sub silentio our culture) and attacks run-a-way budgets. Dwelling with one's folk is home. Language, said Heidegger, is the house of being. Paul speaks to my kith and kin, and we hear.

      Irvin
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
        He sounds a horrible individual - let's hope he loses.
        Jim

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2010
          I agree with you, Jim. Politics is where our personal philosophy intersects with public life. I will vote to keep Rand Paul et al and their philosophy at bay. I'm so grateful that my absentee father made the right choice and left Kentucky when he was a young man. The Paul Rands of the world have nothing in common with the common man. They only want their votes. The Voter Participation Center flattered me recently, so maybe Zizek is right, and the system wants me to participate and perpetuate. I can't do nothing. Mary