Camus who?

  • William
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2010
      Tom, For some unknown reason I find a difference between cruel and barbaric. When waxing moralistic I might equate the two but in strict terms they are not the same.
      I just watched a bunch of Packistani goons off a bunch of dress wearing opponents. I really was not moved except to try to identify their weapons which were of NATO derivation . The killers were obviously worried they would get in serious shit for wacking these guys. They had to rekill one of the victims and it took three more rounds of 308 to finish the dude. 308 is a full battle round and when fired at the ground can generate wild richochets. I guess the hitter was a merciful man and did the right thing in finishing the poor bastard off at some risk to himself.
      So I personally do not find them particularly cruel and since they were wacking bad guys I do not even find them barbaric. They used modern weapons and even blindfolded the victims. It was just business and the soldiers were just following orders. The barbarism came much earlier like when they signed the papar to be a soldier. After that they were just doing what they were trained to do. I think the trick of being civilized is to avoid becomming part of the killing machine. I have signed the paper more than once and have been upbraided for my barbarism on this list. So be it.If you live you might learn but it is my police force and jailers who keep the poor bastards in the lock up a few blocks from here. I like Pontious Pilot, "Scribit scribendit". Most of us have signed the paper one way or another. I think that may be why Mary so respects Albert Camus, he seemed to understand much about crulity and barbarism. Bill