Reflecting on Memories and Essence Memory

  • dick.richardson@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 30, 2010
      Reflecting on Memories and Essence Memory

      […. Considering that it wasn't instantaneous, memory comes into
      play and there is an awareness of the different states ….. ]

      Memory is something that has always puzzled me, and still does. But then
      again most things do. But without memory one could not reflect back on
      things. Ever since I could remember things there was never a time when
      I did not enjoy taking some time out from other things and simply
      reflect upon memories. But obviously the older you are then the more of
      them there are to reflect upon, and especially if you have done many
      things and varied things over a long period of time (and no time).

      It is interesting also that one can remember them in two ways: one
      being in detail of a particular event; like a snapshot of an event in
      time and space ( or no Time); and the other being the essence of a
      period of time and various events, like a montage, like a surrealist
      painting or piece of music depicting an overall feeling of a quality,
      like an aura. Thus the Essence of a time period, as opposed to a
      single event.

      Funny thing you know, but different states of consciousness does not
      really bother me, nor even interest me that much; for they are all a
      part on ONE THING. It is the ONE THING which grabs me. But what does
      interest me is the overall effect of it; like a finished painting as
      opposed to the dots which comprise it. But that comes into play ONLY in
      memory and reflection. Not in any one event or series of events. It is
      not even applicable to any event as such, although it is built upon
      them having taken place. I have always said, and I do to this day, that
      the effect of experience is more important than this or that experience
      as an isolated event. There are two major effects as I have found it.
      One is for the Becoming Process and the other is for this complex thing
      called REFLECTION. Reflection isn't a thing, and it does not
      produce a thing, it produce and maintains a FEELING. I don't know
      if you know what I am talking about :- ) But I do. But it is hard to
      try and describe.

      I think perhaps the best way of doing it is to liken it to stepping
      outside of it all, all time and all events, and just live with the
      ESSENCE of it all. This happens whilst remembering things, but it
      isn't the remembering nor the things remembered, is it like an
      epiphenomenon riding above all that, beyond all that. And the resulting
      effect is simply that of an indefinable FEELING. A knowing which is
      not knowing THINGS and events but simply the synthesis of it all. And in
      a very strange way it kind of DEFINES everything. It rounds it all
      up. If you can follow my meaning.

      In a strange kind of way it is a bit like that feeling one has where
      time and space does not exist at all and one cannot remember anything
      at all, and yet it is different. In that one it is an Essence of No
      Created Thing; but in this `above it all' kind of reflection it
      is an essence of having known and remembered it all. In one sense one
      could say that these two things, these two states, are like the covers
      of a book. The beginning and the end. The before and the after.

      This is also why, or one of the reasons why, that I see that time is
      connected up in a loop, a triangular loop. In one arm of the triangle
      things are being directed, or rather pulled, in the beginning of time
      from the end of time. From the JOB DONE back to the JOB STARTING. Like
      a carrot on a string :- ) Like an attractive force or irresistible
      gravitational pull towards something.

      This is also one of the fascinating things about music, or the effect
      of it rather; or for me anyway, because a similar thing happens. Any
      given individual piece of music can whisk you back in time (in memory)
      to a very particular event in time. An event which may have only lasted
      a few moments or an hour or two. Whereas another piece of music can
      summon up the essence of a whole year or a whole decade, and without
      any particular event thereof and therein. Hence an essence of a period
      of time. And then lastly, or for me anyway, there are a few pieces of
      music which in essence sum up essences. That sounds daft doesn't
      it. But there you go, it works.

      I can give four simple examples; relating to four major aspects of
      life. For me these four pieces of music sum up and define these
      Essence things. Not in words but in feeling, and when standing above
      and beyond it all, in Reflection.

      1. The Fantasia on the Theme of Thomas Tallis; sums up the Cosmos of
      everything in the struggle to BECOME. It sums up Mysticism; in essence.
      No specific memory. But all of it.

      2. The Girl with the Flaxen Hair; Sums up the joy of love, in essence.
      No specific memory. But all of it.

      3. White Night: sums up the pain of love, in essence. No specific
      memory. But all of it.

      4. Symphony No Seven (Beethoven); Sums up the human battle between
      getting it right and getting it wrong, in essence. No specific memory.
      But all of it.

      This of course is also something which I have found interesting and
      fascinating for many years, yet what can one call it? One can only
      describe it as the Essence of an essence :- ) The Quality Factor of
      quality. It is like circles within circles isn't it. But without
      the experience of events then none of this could ever exist, and yet it
      is the best bit of all existence. TO BE and to KNOW IT. And above all
      to FEEL it. Is any of it bad and not wanted? No. For it is what the
      sum of it all IS, it is what the sum of it makes to be. It could not be
      what it is without any of it. Like a dialectical process through from
      not knowing to knowing. From nothing through to everything.

      Yes, I find memory to be mysterious, and the things remembered, and the
      Essence of it all. Actually there isn't anything which I don't
      find to be mysterious. But then again, if I had had an education and
      was smart like them then I would be smart and simply talking about why
      muslims and christians are killing each other, or the price of a new
      car. How stimulating eh. Do I find their conversations interesting?
      No. Tis enough to put one to sleep. And want to stay that way for a
      long time. If not for ever. It would be nice to take their hand and
      lead them out of such a dark restricting cave. But in the dark they
      cannot see the hand even. But I remember trying to :- ) Perhaps I will
      delete that bit from memory :- ) Oh well!

      IF, and I emphasis IF, you want mystical experience then try grabbing
      the Essences. And FEEL it all.

    • dick.richardson@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2010
        Re: Reflecting on Memories and Essence Memory
        I am no authority on modern day computers and the algorithmic codes
        which they run, so I cannot comment, other than to say that they are
        not human beings. I did do some programming back in the early
        seventies, but one cannot compare that with modern day computers. I do
        not feel that computers make a good analogy to life.

        I do know something about radio and heterodyne harmonics, and yes they
        can be useful and they can also be a bloody nuisance. But I am far from
        an authority on these things, it was only a hobby, even though I did do
        radio and television repairs for a while back the sixties – a long
        time ago :- ) Things have moved on a long way since then. Same too with
        cars. I could not repair modern day cars for I don't even know what I
        am looking at under the lid these days. That was another world :- )
        Well, you know what I mean.

        As for people remembering only what they want to remember and seeing
        only what they want to see than I sure cannot go along with that silly
        notion one jot. Memories of 1940 are hardly the stuff that joy is built
        upon. I do not choose to remember it. I do not choose to remember
        having no place to live and not enough food to feed a sparrow. It
        wasn't fun.

        The other part which I would pick up on here, is the often stated thing
        about people interpreting experience. I have been arguing against this
        for fifty years. If somebody has an acute pain in the guts then that is
        what they have got. There is nothing to interpret, for that IS IT. That
        is what they are living at that moment. As to what is causing it is
        something else, and that can be looked into. Same too with ANY

        Somebody suddenly finds that they are existing in a place that they
        don't ever recall seeing before. They are there for a long time. But
        they cannot think about that at the time for thinking does not take
        place there. It is a beautiful place, and there is no world there or
        anything found whilst alive on earth. It is all around you, you are
        floating around in it. It is coloured and three dimensional, width,
        breadth and depth. On returning one can describe it in fine grain
        detail. There is NOTHING to interpret about it, you just tell at as IT
        IS found to be. SIMPLE! A kid could do it. What was it and what
        caused it? That is something else entirely.

        This notion of experience all being down to interpretation is CRAP! A
        guy gets run over by a car. Oh, no, it was not really that, you just
        imagined it, it was really a case of eating a jam doughnut on a cliff
        top on a fine sunny day. BULLSHIT ! The guy has been knocked down by a
        car. As to why he got knocked down by a car then one can look into

        If there are sour grapes about something then the two most commonly used
        arguments are, 1. That you imagined it. 2. That you are just
        misinterpreting it. But no amount of talking and thinking undoes what

        One is ALWAYS absolutely certain about ANY experience, and it is
        axiomatic. As to what caused it is another question. But not knowing the
        answers as to what caused it does not take the living experience of it
        away. And experience is not a belief. It is what you GET. When you find
        yourself in that place which I have described in detail then argue with
        it when you are there :- ) Likewise argue with the journey to it when
        you are there.

        I have read many people and many academics talking about life and
        consciousness and I am not amused. It would be nice if they wrote from
        hindsight not imagination and theories. Let alone beliefs. One day as a
        kid I was in a cinema and I was eating an apple. The lights went on and
        I saw that the apple had maggots in it. No amount of arguing, theories
        or beliefs would take those maggots away. IT WAS SO! Why did that
        apple have maggots in it? Well, it happens. The apple did not have
        chocolates in it. It was not up for interpretation. IT WAS MAGGOTS !

        --- In The-Primordial-Quest@yahoogroups.com, old bob <bbferrier@...>
        > Hi Sir Richard
        > Static memory and dynamic memory present two entirely different set
        of events when its time to consider their importance. An instant, or
        "moment in time" can be captured with a photograph for example. Any
        number of photographs, of the same event from different perspectives
        will capture slightly different sets of experiences even if they snap
        their shutters simultaneously. For example, there is a slight
        difference in the time it takes for the light from the same event to
        reach the film of each different camera. The difference in timing can
        even be measured in a few microns, a quarter wavelength of the speed of
        light. This might raise a question of whether or not this slight
        difference is significance. Perhaps not, but its the thingy that makes
        holographs work, because the interference patterns, from a coherent
        light source require this (other than instantaneous moment in time) or
        it simply wouldn't happen.
        > The point is that the effects of an event can be captured in some
        form of memory for subsequent examination. Two such events can be
        compared for examination at some third time later. In devices that use
        this idea for decision making use algorithms to determine what
        instructions are to be executed as a result of predetermined flags set
        during the observation of some event. The programing logic is
        conventionally named static and dynamic. Steady state logic deals with
        events that happen at the same time. Sequential logic requires more
        > Subtle, but its the same state of affairs that us people must deal
        with when we examine our experiences to draw conclusions that
        eventually create a response to events that we experience. In general,
        it can make the conclusions drawn from an experience be different when
        reconsidered. Consideration of a sequence of events becomes so
        common-place that the syndrome is probably taken for granted. The
        resulting reactions determine how significant the use of these
        memories; however.
        > This also raises a question of a thingy called synchronicity. Events
        are inter-related. I've heard lengthy discussions on why two radio
        transmitters should become phaze locked, even though they are excited
        by two independent oscillators. The frequency drift of each oscillator
        should be random; however, both transmitters will drift exactly the
        same when operating at the same time. This phaze lock is accurate to a
        quarter wave-length of the frequency of the transmitters,,,, and that
        pretty darned close ;-) Then there is another equally interesting thingy
        that happens when these xmitters manage to get out of phaze, called
        heterodynamics. Heterodyne frequencies can be just as useful as the
        source frequencies themselves. Interesting how events can become
        inter-related. No simple one-liner answer to that synchronosity
        > Back to memories. Seems like people; in general, tend to remember
        what they want to remember. Just like they tend to see and hear what
        they want to see an hear. Not just real events either because some
        religious fanatics seem to believe only what they want to believe.