Existlist

    Message 1 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
      Until the moderators gain control of, and there is more participation by someone other than our few regulars, I will limit my involvement. Some of you will cheer. Richardson's input is 60% of total web page today. I apologize for my previous obsessive posting here; I see how truly obnoxious it was. Mary
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
        I have his posts go immediately into the trash, and I have for some time. I only see his name when one of you answer him. He is incorrigible. I recommend using your spam controls to just delete his address(es) from your mail box.

        Wil

        Message 3 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
          Tis like the three monkies isnt it. Hear nothing, see nothing, say
          nothing. And if anybody does then that is all WRONG :- ) See only what
          you want to see; hear only that which want to hear, and say nothing
          because of gutlessness. Man, you will makes waves on the web of space
          and time. Also, if you used your nut there would be no emails coming
          your way at all. Just read them on the list group, and avoid those who
          you do not wish to read. USE YOUR BRAIN. You could always try just
          countering anything which I have ever said, instead of just screaming.
          Go away go away go away like a frustrated old biddy.

          Message 4 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
            No. I said something, that egregious rudeness is not tolerable. You're not listening, or else ignoring. So why criticise?

            Louise

            Message 5 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
              How much blatant rudeness do you think I have encountered over the last
              fifty years just for saying anything? Also had a lot if it from this
              group too. But when you give it back they cry and moan. If you cannot
              take it then DON'T dish it out. Personally it does not bother me in
              the least, not on iota. I can take it and I can dish it out. I could not
              do what I have done if it did bother me – death threats and all. I
              have NEVER threatened anybody, only challenged their thinking, that is
              all. What is it they say, which is also very applicable in cyberspace,
              if you cannot stick the heat then get out of the kitchen. Doing these
              kind of groups is an option, a choice, one does not have to do it. But
              if you do then you take what comes there with it. I have seen a lot of
              that :- ) I talk here about EXIST, but I do NOT consider that anybody
              else is doing that. They talk about what they have read. BORING. We can
              all read books and quote other people. But all that has already been
              said, and read.

              > No. I said something, that egregious rudeness is not tolerable.
              You're not listening, or else ignoring. So why criticise?

              > Louise

            • tom
              Message 6 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
                Mary, Don't leave us. Like Wil I also have put Dick on my block list. He has promised to leave this chatroom at least 20 times, but I have given up believing his promises or anything he says long ago. The only think he has said that I believe is that he said he has met very few people that he respects.

                Peace and appreciation,
                Tom
                Message 7 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
                  Dick,

                  No, you do not threaten. I have definitely noticed that. The rudeness, though, is often entirely unprovoked, a part of your style it seems. This may supply some explanation of why your presence was going unacknowledged. I wanted to register a protest, as I think it detracts from the character of the group, and I would protest too if the rudeness were directed your way. I tend to agree with Mary, that existlist would benefit from some different voices.

                  As to your initial question, you will have been subject to much derision, no doubt. It would always be possible to draw the conclusion, well, I am not going down that path myself. Strange thing, that, about being human. Not always a matter of choice, exactly, but alternatives can be perceived nevertheless. You seem to take a combative line - if others can be rude to me, then I can be rude. Really? Why does anyone want to be rude? That is a kind of existential question. When the balance of my mind was disturbed, rudeness became part of my personality. It seems like some sort of doomed attempt to shape the world, to attract or resist attention. Courtesy is a realism, I think, tested in life, about what does and does not apply in the world, a realism about what matters and what can be changed. This is a generalisation, and I am not entirely against rudeness - it depends if it is driven by a realistic passion, if it has warmth. An egregious rudeness is literally one that 'stands out from the flock', and serves its own interests only.

                  Just a few passing thoughts for now. I would argue that the subject does relate to existence. Courtesy and rudeness affect life every day, are in relationship to levels of violence in some measure. One's sensibilities become blunted if repeatedly exposed to shock or roughness.

                  As for the unconscious humour, the complaint that we talk about what we have read... It is the context that makes it comical. This is at the very least an intrinsic part of the raison d'etre of the group. The fact that a roving mystic wants to use the group as an instrument for spreading a message does not change the nature of the group. This is an observable fact. Existlist is in waiting. It goes through all sorts of changes. I think we are in a quiet autumnal phase. Who will wax eloquent, for the insights of reading?

                  Louise

                  --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "dick.richardson@..." <dick.richardson@...> wrote:

                  > How much blatant rudeness do you think I have encountered over the last
                  > fifty years just for saying anything? Also had a lot if it from this
                  > group too. But when you give it back they cry and moan. If you cannot
                  > take it then DON'T dish it out. Personally it does not bother me in
                  > the least, not on iota. I can take it and I can dish it out. I could not
                  > do what I have done if it did bother me – death threats and all. I
                  > have NEVER threatened anybody, only challenged their thinking, that is
                  > all. What is it they say, which is also very applicable in cyberspace,
                  > if you cannot stick the heat then get out of the kitchen. Doing these
                  > kind of groups is an option, a choice, one does not have to do it. But
                  > if you do then you take what comes there with it. I have seen a lot of
                  > that :- ) I talk here about EXIST, but I do NOT consider that anybody
                  > else is doing that. They talk about what they have read. BORING. We can
                  > all read books and quote other people. But all that has already been
                  > said, and read.
                  >

                  > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "louise" <hecubatoher@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > No. I said something, that egregious rudeness is not tolerable.
                  > You're not listening, or else ignoring. So why criticise?
                  > >
                  > > Louise

                • tom
                  Message 8 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
                    Mary,

                    I certainly have appreciated your posting here. Since you have got into Bohm, I have watched your assimilation of new views and concepts, integrating your mind with theories that also give meaning to the longings of the heart for value.

                    Peace

                    Message 9 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010
                      Not sure if anyone remembers me, probably years ago I choose to post images
                      instead of words to existlist. Worked better that way for me. As an artist
                      poet I see the world in so strongly visual terms that my life and theory and
                      consciousness is contained in my images. I have so enjoyed the continuing
                      conversation with the elegant, compassionate and exceptionally thoughtful
                      people on this list. I have followed the conversation for years. At times
                      the thread has become anxious, and even bitter, but never has it reached the
                      point of this present state. I have wondered where the moderator is, if
                      there even is one.

                      Dick, I don�t know you, and honestly, I don�t want to know you. You have
                      stated that you were leaving the list. Please do so. You are not furthering
                      the conversation, you destroy it.

                      - Peter

                    • William
                      Message 10 of 27 , Sep 28, 2010

                        Message 11 of 27 , Sep 29, 2010
                          Peter, I remember you and fondly wish you would post links to your poem images to remind us from time to time how philosophy and art intersect through language. And like Louise, I welcome a discussion of how words, through literature and art, enrich us. I read mostly to fill my mind with scientific and artistic models of reality. I'm reading Wallace Stegner's The Spectator Bird and the Hawking-Mlodinow Grand Design. There is beauty and mystery in both, two different approaches on the meaning of existence. Here's a poem I wrote over 10 years ago which asks one of our most philosophical questions: what survives of the beloved? And if we're not sure, why do we act as if we are? Certainty isn't something you can give to or take from anyone.

                          LOST

                          When the indigo blanket of night
                          unfolds so softly and deep
                          over silky low clouds of lavender
                          apricot and the palest green,
                          the first faint twinklings of starlight
                          promise new dreams and horizons.
                          I chart my adventure beginning.

                          Across dark and desolate deserts
                          waves of warm sand whirl me.
                          Beyond the shadow of statue saguaro,
                          sentinels of a secret border,
                          cool breezes are whispering stories
                          laughter and music and dancing.
                          I hear lovers and evergreens sighing.

                          Near a cold glassy lake in a forest
                          where grasses are dewy and sweet
                          old friends and companions are waiting
                          eager to share in my treasure.
                          Sparkling eyes around that campfire
                          anchored beneath a blackest sky.
                          Will I sleep by their fire again?

                          --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Peter ciccariello <ciccariello@...> wrote:

                          > Not sure if anyone remembers me, probably years ago I choose to post images
                          > instead of words to existlist. Worked better that way for me. As an artist
                          > poet I see the world in so strongly visual terms that my life and theory and
                          > consciousness is contained in my images. I have so enjoyed the continuing
                          > conversation with the elegant, compassionate and exceptionally thoughtful
                          > people on this list. I have followed the conversation for years. At times
                          > the thread has become anxious, and even bitter, but never has it reached the
                          > point of this present state. I have wondered where the moderator is, if
                          > there even is one.
                          >

                          > Dick, I don't know you, and honestly, I don't want to know you. You have
                          > stated that you were leaving the list. Please do so. You are not furthering
                          > the conversation, you destroy it.
                          >

                          > - Peter

                        • Peter ciccariello
                          Message 12 of 27 , Sep 29, 2010
                            Beautifully expressed Mary, and thank you for remembering my work. I have
                            been intently following your posts on David Bohm and Sartre, which I find
                            fascinating. If you will all indulge the visual intrusion, I am attaching
                            two of my most �existential� images.

                            1. g dying center stage
                            2. Sartre says the body is the locus of the sedimentation

                            Best,

                            - Peter

                            Message 13 of 27 , Sep 29, 2010
                              Peter,

                              Far from finding any visual intrusion, I find myself looking at a white space. I am assuming that this is because I read messages at the group site and do not receive individual mails or a digest to my mailbox. If this is so, it might be worthwhile to change the settings for my own membership to allow me to see attachments (I hope). Is anyone else in the same boat?

                              Louise

                              Message 14 of 27 , Sep 29, 2010
                                Well, that's a problem Louise....
                                Please try this link to my blog, I posted the images there.
                                http://invisiblenotes.blogspot.com/

                                On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:13 PM, louise <hecubatoher@...> wrote:

                                > Peter,
                                >
                                > Far from finding any visual intrusion, I find myself looking at a white
                                > space. I am assuming that this is because I read messages at the group site
                                > and do not receive individual mails or a digest to my mailbox. If this is
                                > so, it might be worthwhile to change the settings for my own membership to
                                > allow me to see attachments (I hope). Is anyone else in the same boat?
                                >
                                > Louise
                                >

                                > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com <existlist%40yahoogroups.com>, Peter
                                > ciccariello <ciccariello@...> wrote:
                                > >
                                > > Beautifully expressed Mary, and thank you for remembering my work. I have
                                > > been intently following your posts on David Bohm and Sartre, which I find
                                > > fascinating. If you will all indulge the visual intrusion, I am attaching
                                > > two of my most `existential' images.
                                > >
                                > > 1. g dying center stage
                                > > 2. Sartre says the body is the locus of the sedimentation
                                > >
                                > > Best,
                                > >
                                > > - Peter
                                > >

                                > > On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
                                > >

                                > > > Peter, I remember you and fondly wish you would post links to your poem
                                > > > images to remind us from time to time how philosophy and art intersect
                                > > > through language. And like Louise, I welcome a discussion of how words,
                                > > > through literature and art, enrich us. I read mostly to fill my mind
                                > with
                                > > > scientific and artistic models of reality. I'm reading Wallace
                                > Stegner's The
                                > > > Spectator Bird and the Hawking-Mlodinow Grand Design. There is beauty
                                > and
                                > > > mystery in both, two different approaches on the meaning of existence.
                                > > > Here's a poem I wrote over 10 years ago which asks one of our most
                                > > > philosophical questions: what survives of the beloved? And if we're not
                                > > > sure, why do we act as if we are? Certainty isn't something you can
                                > give to
                                > > > or take from anyone.
                                > > >
                                > > > LOST
                                > > >
                                > > > When the indigo blanket of night
                                > > > unfolds so softly and deep
                                > > > over silky low clouds of lavender
                                > > > apricot and the palest green,
                                > > > the first faint twinklings of starlight
                                > > > promise new dreams and horizons.
                                > > > I chart my adventure beginning.
                                > > >
                                > > > Across dark and desolate deserts
                                > > > waves of warm sand whirl me.
                                > > > Beyond the shadow of statue saguaro,
                                > > > sentinels of a secret border,
                                > > > cool breezes are whispering stories
                                > > > laughter and music and dancing.
                                > > > I hear lovers and evergreens sighing.
                                > > >
                                > > > Near a cold glassy lake in a forest
                                > > > where grasses are dewy and sweet
                                > > > old friends and companions are waiting
                                > > > eager to share in my treasure.
                                > > > Sparkling eyes around that campfire
                                > > > anchored beneath a blackest sky.
                                > > > Will I sleep by their fire again?

                                http://invisiblenotes.blogspot.com/
                                http://uncommonvision.blogspot.com/
                                http://poemsfromprovidence.blogspot.com/
                                http://uncommon-vision.blogspot.com/
                                You can find my art and writing updates on Twitter
                                https://twitter.com/ciccariello

                                Message 15 of 27 , Sep 29, 2010
                                  Thanks for that, Peter, I'm glad to have the opportunity to view them. g dying, that's really immediate, once I began to 'see it', but I know very little about art. It leaves me asking whether I really know how to look at all. Probably a good question. Louise

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Sep 29, 2010
                                    Louise, lowercase 'g' has become a sort of alter ego, the character of my
                                    personal narrative, exactly why I am not sure, and of course, dying center
                                    stage is what we all fear, but all must do, sooner or later. I have
                                    anticipated your clear and thoughtful posts all these years, least you think
                                    no one is listening. Please keep them coming :)

                                    - Peter

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Sep 30, 2010
                                      I though perhaps the 'g' was god or perhaps even a comment on Sarah Palin's droppin' them :) Coincidentally, Stegner's book is about an elderly couple and mortality and recommended to me by a very thoughtful young man. I think of death every night when I wake and stare out at the moon, clouds, or stars. Orion is so trustworthy. The Sartre piece is more 'self' explanatory and is readily relevant due to my recent dip into his dialectic. It seems the history of the universe is less complicated than that of a human, according to the Grand Design. Actually, the dragonfly in moonlight is my favorite however. It's a beautiful representation and connects with my fascination at the boom in their population this summer which swarmed very high, over nine stories. One night they were hitting the screens, and nearly as huge as the swifts flocking in the thousands and diving in the neighboring chimney. Migration is about to commence for some of us too. Gosh, where has the time gone . . . Mary

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Sep 30, 2010
                                        I too noticed the prevalence of the dragonflies, this summer seemed so
                                        metaphorically cyclic. Hawks, bats and dragonflies. Perhaps there is meaning
                                        there, perhaps not. I think the most relevant part of your post was
                                        "Migration is about to commence for some of us too. Nice way to put it.
                                        Bittersweet.

                                        Hope I didn't take too much not so existential time.

                                        - Peter

                                        On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                        > > > poem
                                        > > > intersect
                                        > how
                                        > > > words,
                                        > > > mind
                                        > > > beauty
                                        > > > existence.
                                        > most
                                        > we're
                                        > > > not
                                        > can

                                        > > --
                                        > > http://invisiblenotes.blogspot.com/
                                        > > http://uncommonvision.blogspot.com/
                                        > > http://poemsfromprovidence.blogspot.com/
                                        > > http://uncommon-vision.blogspot.com/
                                        > > You can find my art and writing updates on Twitter
                                        > > https://twitter.com/ciccariello

                                        http://invisiblenotes.blogspot.com/
                                        http://uncommonvision.blogspot.com/
                                        http://poemsfromprovidence.blogspot.com/
                                        http://uncommon-vision.blogspot.com/
                                        You can find my art and writing updates on Twitter

                                      • Herman
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 25, 2011
                                          from
                                          http://www.theonion.com/articles/last-male-heir-to-bloodline-watches-movie-alone-on,20969/

                                          CULVER CITY, CA�Nathan Brandten, the last remaining male heir to a rich
                                          genetic lineage stretching dozens of generations into the dim and distant
                                          past, watched a movie alone on his laptop late Friday evening, sources
                                          reported.

                                          Brandten, 32, the final product of a dwindling bloodline that his proud
                                          forebears fought relentlessly to advance even before the dawn of history,
                                          decided to spend his free time after work watching the 1989 Tom Hanks comedy
                                          film *The 'Burbs*.

                                          "I think I'll just stay in tonight," said Brandten, whose scared and
                                          frostbitten ancestors traversed the icy Bering Strait into a bewildering and
                                          perilous new world so that his precious genetic material might one day
                                          flourish. "Thank God for Netflix streaming."

                                          "I remember Hanks being pretty funny in this," continued the man whose
                                          storied surname will very likely end with him. "You got to love his early
                                          stuff."

                                          According to the descendant of Bronze Age Nordic boatmen who sailed
                                          fearlessly across the North Sea in a tireless quest for self- preservation,
                                          he was initially torn between watching *The 'Burbs* and the 1995 showbiz
                                          farce *Get Shorty*.

                                          However, after remembering that he had actually watched *Get Shorty* fairly
                                          recently, the man who has thus far failed to extend the survival of his
                                          ancestry�a heritage that miraculously spans unbroken across 200,000 years of
                                          human strife and perseverance�decided to watch *The 'Burbs* instead.

                                          "The mixture of slapstick and gothic horror parody actually holds up
                                          surprisingly well," said the only child and sole remaining link to the
                                          Germanic serfs whose blood still courses through his veins. "You can tell
                                          [actor Bruce] Dern probably had a ball making this, too."

                                          While claiming that watching a film in solitude without any female to
                                          fulfill his male biological imperative was a "pretty nice night," Brandten
                                          was momentarily deterred when his Internet connection slowed down
                                          significantly for a period of almost 10 minutes.

                                          "This thing is buffering at a crawl tonight," said Brandten, whose
                                          19th-century namesake Nathaniel Lee Brandten once led his kin across barren
                                          wilderness in a tragic half-decade trek from Boston to the Pacific
                                          Northwest. "I'm not even watching it in full-screen mode. Why is it so
                                          slow?"

                                          "And you'd think a movie like this would be available in HD, too," added the
                                          great-great-grandson of wounded World War I flying ace Wilbur Brandten, who
                                          vowed to make it home from the war alive no matter what the cost so he could
                                          pass on the Brandten family name. "Not sure what that's all about."

                                          The direct result of several million years of evolution in which
                                          tree-dwelling primates moved to the land and began walking upright in order
                                          to take advantage of available resources told reporters he had not seen the
                                          film since his childhood, when he watched it frequently, and added that he
                                          "really enjoyed" the scene where Tom Hanks ate the sardines.

                                          The last relative of countless mammalian and non-mammalian animals forced to
                                          kill other members of their own species just to ensure their genetic
                                          survival also cited the scene where Rick Ducommun's character accidentally
                                          gets electrocuted as his "favorite."

                                          After finishing the movie, Brandten, who has been single since 2007,
                                          rummaged through his refrigerator for an aluminum tray of leftover Mexican
                                          takeout food, consumed a half-eaten enchilada in near darkness, and made his
                                          way to bed.

                                          "Man, I am exhausted," said the collection of specialized eukaryotic and
                                          symbiotic prokaryotic cells that have evolved over eons, giving rise to a
                                          complex, sentient organism capable of surviving and reproducing in even the
                                          harshest of environments. "Glad I took it easy tonight."

                                        • William
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 25, 2011

> [...]
                                            > "really enjoyed" the scene where Tom Hanks ate the sardines.
                                            >
                                            > The last relative of countless mammalian and non-mammalian animals forced to
                                            > kill other members of their own species just to ensure their genetic
                                            > survival also cited the scene where Rick Ducommun's character accidentally
                                            > gets electrocuted as his "favorite."
                                            >
                                            > After finishing the movie, Brandten, who has been single since 2007,
                                            > rummaged through his refrigerator for an aluminum tray of leftover Mexican
                                            > takeout food, consumed a half-eaten enchilada in near darkness, and made his
                                            > way to bed.
                                            >
                                            > "Man, I am exhausted," said the collection of specialized eukaryotic and
                                            > symbiotic prokaryotic cells that have evolved over eons, giving rise to a
                                            > complex, sentient organism capable of surviving and reproducing in even the
                                            > harshest of environments. "Glad I took it easy tonight."

                                            Herman, The pedigree postulate has little impression on me. Relying on straight blood lines is frought with practical problems. DNA identifications will add much to this study but it is relatively easy to create a past but more difficult to live off it. "You gotta serve somebody" from Dylan and the movie The American come to mind. George Clooney plays a hitter who wants out. Once you play the pedigree card it is tough to get out.
                                            So who was the first man. he did not step down from the tree , he was birthed in the tree from two animals who were not human. You see the problems of an evolving species, it is where you decide to place the markers. Who has the right to affix those markers seems a very powerful interprise. That is the kind of intellectual arrogance brought us uncle Adolph and this new monster out of Norway. His manifesto , he uses another name, is full of Ted Kasinski parlance. The guy is probably very intelligent as Kasinski was dense and hard to read. Now if you want to recognise that within a known genome there may be a proven proclivity to innovation. In one generation it may foster progress and in another time frame it may present as madness. Social norms and nationalistic proclivities count a great deal. I think The Norway monster is more dangerous than Bin Ladin . He wants to publish and In 21 years he could be set free. That one has a long fuse and has set for years just waiting. he can never be let out. He would be removed in an american pen but he has organizer talents, he can be personable, he can build cells. he already admiots to having association with two cells. I hope the norweigans ask for FBI help. We have had a long time to study many criminal sociopaths . This guy has potential to cause even greater chaos and death. Awful beings created with our own stuff. Execute them ,biopsy them, and off to see Davey Jones. Actually the casulities are fairly low,consider Getteysburg or Normande . Making sure conquest drawn hyper egos should never be set free is at the least an outcome and punishment may produce results. I think of Vikings when I think of the norse. I think they will know how to handle this one of their own. A crab pool comes to mind. Bill