A clearer view of the past

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
      I have long been interested in the deep history of man , even back to his break with his other primate relatives. Now the joining of geology with ancient climate studies and fossil evidence points to a more general theory of the evolution of our species.
      There were many prehominid species scattered across millions of years in the deep past. The thing about the theory that seems to hold is that all this early evolution took place in Africa. Radical climate changes were the main evolutionary drivers and these changes were much more rapid than had been imagined. Species evolved and were erased by regional climate changes and there were many dead ends . The product that came out of Africa was a fully formed ,big brained Homo Sapiens.
      Then the story gets very personal for all of us. Genetic markers on the Y chromosomes allow geneticists to trace the movements of the men who first left Africa during the end of the last great ice age. It was cooler then and sea levels were much lower. These people fished and beach combed their way into Australia and are represented today by the aboriginies. The secound exodus wandered off into central asia where they moved east to China and west to Europe. A very few went north from china and fewer than twenty crossed a land bridge into Alaska and became the native americans. The central asians who went west became the europeans. Now we have scientific evidence of our passage from prehominoids to our dispersal over the planet. A final fact is that because of the dilution and intermixing of peoples this Y marker chromosome will not be evident after a very few generations. We made our finds just in time and our migrant history is complete.
      Therefore two of my initial questions are answered. Who we are and where we came from are literally history. Where we are going is left to the future. Bill
    • William
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
        I would like to talk about what the facts of this post mean philosophically. Nearly all religions have creation myths. Now we know they are just that ,myths. The main researcher in the Y chromosome marker study refuted a Najavo who wanted the inclusion of his peoples story and was angry it was called a myth. The scientist would not budge because what happned had nothing to do with springing from the earth or being created by a great spirit. That sort of priest fashoned mystacism is wrong and will be exposed as such. The proof is in our genes which are at the core of our existance. Now no sane person can cling to creation myths or creator gods.
        Certainly many will cling to the creation mysticism. It often glorifys their sect as it declares them a chosen people or the true line of humanity. All of that is just wrong. We all came from the same Homo Sapiens that came out of Africa nearly sixty thousand years ago. We evolved as prehominoids in Africa and our diverse sizes and colors are evolutionary changes caused by local factors. Sunlight,heat and cold,local chemical environment and diet have made us different. Genetically we are the same from the start and all share a common humanity.
        What separates us are beliefs that are grounded in nothing but myths. Slowly knowledge of that great truth will make us more survivable than the mystic hoarde. As a true knowledge of the past can force a better future, the people of knowledge will surpass the fools of faith. In the time of Darwin the existentialists began the break from the peoples of gods. Now we have very strong proof on our side and we should push our huge advantage. That could be the grand project that Sartre understood. Bill
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010
          Bill, Sartre was very much interested in creating an anthropology founded in man's work with materiality and how this affects history and human relationships. The excesses of capitalist and communist idealism leave us holding the bag. There needs to be more respect for employers, employees, and the environment; knowing that we make the future now is a tremendous responsibility. Mary

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2010

            > Bill, Sartre was very much interested in creating an anthropology founded in man's work with materiality and how this affects history and human relationships. The excesses of capitalist and communist idealism leave us holding the bag. There needs to be more respect for employers, employees, and the environment; knowing that we make the future now is a tremendous responsibility. Mary
            >Mary, I was happy to read your reply I long ago surmised that Sartre understood the concept of the fruit of a poisoned tree. I do not use that in the strictly ,narrow legal sense but in the context that thoughts , out of an untrue construction, cannot be trusted. Thus Sartre was a hard atheist. He understood that theism and mystical illusions led to positions that malfunctioned in the real world. Atheistic communism was a logical choice for Sartre but his ally was a straw man hiding totalitarianism. The failure of communism has unfortunately dragged down atheism with it.
            Now we can understand why theistic politics is a non starter. Tony Blair today said that Bush had a remarakebly simplistic world view. We all know his philosophy came from bible pounding neocons. Bad policys from wrong headed believers. Bill