Free choice or reflex?

  • Rajiv Pande
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 18, 1999
      Dear Randy,
      Remember our discussion on fact and truth? 12 Emails to and fro, no conclusions. Was that a productive exchange? Was it very illuminating? To me swatting mosquitoes because they bite is not a free choice. It is a reflex.
      So if you punch a guy on the nose as you come back from the office "just because" you felt like it (after the fight you had with your boss), the guy is going to punch you back, NOT out of free choice but because his instincts demand that he do so. Don't blame him, blame the circumstances over which you had no control. Worse, Randy, don't tell him about existential choices, for he is going to be so angry that philosophy would probably be the last thing on his mind!! (Ha Ha)
      Rajiv