SK = FN more accurately in this way

  • ccorey@frontiernet.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2010
      You are right, Jaspers' arguments are quite vague but we cannot doubt that SK and FN are distinguished from the other great philosophers in that they both consciously subverted philosophy itself: one in favor of faith in absurd paradox and martyrdom as the only true life, the other in order to arrive at atheism. Together they make clear what can befall philosophy because it is not the only possibility open to men. The philosophizing Existenz is found in its pure origins only insofar as it sees itself confronting another reality which is not true for itself, but only for that other: before revealed religion and before atheism. This alternative to philosophy on both sides, the obedient, churchly belief in cults, and atheism, is surely of world-dominating importance. Both attest to thier truth through acts of personal sacrifice and consuming passions even though, like philosophy itself they dissolve into comfortable custom...

      -c-