Re: [existlist] Re: Whether reasons have causes (was: The administrations war)

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 4, 2010
      Hi Louise,

      On 4 August 2010 11:52, shadowed_statue <hecubatoher@...> wrote:
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Herman <hhofmeister@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Hi Louise,
      >>
      >> On 4 August 2010 11:35, shadowed_statue <hecubatoher@...> wrote:
      >> > Polly,
      >> >
      >> > With regard to your comment about cognitive dissonance - "some conflict between an explanation given at one time and another time" - yes, I do recognise what you are talking about.  But is there any connection here with the argument about mind/body dualism?  Isn't it rather a different argument altogether, where we have run into serious lack of mutual comprehension, partly in consequence of my not making my statements unambiguous?  For instance, in referring to your relaying of 'facts' (my own inverted commas), I did not mean to suggest that you were relaying a factual account from life, but that within the schema of fictional narrative, you were providing what purported to be 'facts' of a character's subjectivity.  How he believed himself to be great, and so on.
      >> >

      >> We are now discussing the in's and out's of an imagined story.
      >
      > No, we are not, actually, because you are here telling me that you do not wish to do so.  I do not think literature some kind of ornament, and offer no apologies for taking it seriously.  L.

      Literature has it's place, but personally I think that literature and
      philosophy are unrelated. There is one other here, Louise, who offers
      opportunistic lip service to Sartre, expressing some politically
      expedient affinity with him, and to that hyena I offer the following:

      From the Sartre entry in Wikipedia
      "In 1964, Sartre renounced literature in a witty and sardonic account
      of the first ten years of his life, Les mots (Words). The book is an
      ironic counterballast to Marcel Proust, whose reputation had
      unexpectedly eclipsed that of André Gide (who had provided the model
      of littérature engagée for Sartre's generation). Literature, Sartre
      concluded, functioned ultimately as a bourgeois substitute for real
      commitment in the world. In October 1964, Sartre was awarded the Nobel
      Prize in Literature but he declined it."

      How's it all going, Bill? Ohh, that's really great, mate.

      Cheers

      Polly

      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 10, 2010
        Tom, Bohm actually agreed with Einstein that the Copenhagen Interpretation was incomplete.
        For a simple explanation, which also points to Bohm's relationships with Einstein and Murray Gell-Mann, you might google and read: Dialectical Materialism and the Construction of a New Quantum theory: David Joseph Bohm by Christian Forstner. Bohn's pilot wave theory dismisses the wave function as a mathematical entity and restores an objective universe wherein incomplete knowledge of the observer doesn't affect the location or momentum of an electron. The article also touches on something you mention from time to time, causality vs. chance. Bohm says both exist as complementary opposites. Mary

        What really matters for me is . the more active role of the observer in quantum physics . According to quantum physics the observer has indeed a new relation to
        the physical events around him in comparison with the classical observer, who is merely a spectator.