Re: The administrations war

    Message 1 of 55 , Aug 2, 2010
      Hello Polly,

      I agree there is no more important philosophical consideration that to what degree we belong to ourselves, and is after all, what we've been discussing in one form or another. The terror and responsibility of freedom wouldn't exist if we're were not discrete bodies so easily propagandized to sectarianism. Learning to think differently and for ourselves, if this is even possible, is the only way back to the kind of community and world you imagine. Otherwise, we are bound for a totalitarianism the likes of which no one has seen. Come to think of it, I fear some of the programs you've suggested are of this ilk. I hope not.

      I would think that no particular belief common to us all contributes more to human suffering than the notion that we are each in turn causally distinct, separately existing agents. While I would agree with you that this belief does not result in any specific behaviour, I do think
      that this notion is fundamental to human suffering, whenever it occurs.

      I just thought I'd throw this in now, as if we do not have enough to consider as it is :-)
      Message 55 of 55 , Aug 10, 2010
        Tom, Bohm actually agreed with Einstein that the Copenhagen Interpretation was incomplete.
        For a simple explanation, which also points to Bohm's relationships with Einstein and Murray Gell-Mann, you might google and read: Dialectical Materialism and the Construction of a New Quantum theory: David Joseph Bohm by Christian Forstner. Bohn's pilot wave theory dismisses the wave function as a mathematical entity and restores an objective universe wherein incomplete knowledge of the observer doesn't affect the location or momentum of an electron. The article also touches on something you mention from time to time, causality vs. chance. Bohm says both exist as complementary opposites. Mary

        What really matters for me is . the more active role of the observer in quantum physics . According to quantum physics the observer has indeed a new relation to
        the physical events around him in comparison with the classical observer, who is merely a spectator.