Know your agnosias

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
      Hi all,

      Theoretical physics has it's place amongst the sciences because it
      frames it's hypothesis in a way that renders them potentially
      testable. Metaphysics, on the other hand, must forever remain
      other-worldly, because the objects of it's study are born in thought,
      and thus forever defy inspection. Metaphysics, ultimately, is the
      study of words in terms of words. Ho Hum. I don't intend to
      participate in that vein anymore.

      Now, to the clinic of life. How is it that metaphysicians (sic) are
      able to whittle away their time in their fashion? What does it take to
      become a metaphysician? Perhaps we should ask someone with Wernicke's
      aphasia to comment on the "ontological character of rationality itself
      which proceeds by the necessary character of truth functions." The
      following is an excerpt from Wikipedia on this syndrome:

      "Speech is preserved, but language content is incorrect. This may vary
      from the insertion of a few incorrect or nonexistent words to a
      profuse outpouring of jargon. Grammar, syntax, rate, intonation and
      stress are normal. Substitutions of one word for another (paraphasias,
      e.g. “telephone” for “television”) are common. Comprehension and
      repetition are poor.

      Example:
      I called my mother on the television and did not understand the door.
      It was too breakfast, but they came from far to near. My mother is not
      too old for me to be young.

      Patients who recover from Wernicke’s aphasia report that, while
      aphasic, they found the speech of others to be unintelligible and,
      despite being cognizant of the fact that they were speaking, they
      could neither stop themselves nor understand their own words.

      The ability to understand and repeat songs is usually unaffected, as
      these are processed by the opposite hemisphere. Melodic intonation
      therapy(MIT) has been pursued for some years with aphasic patients
      under the belief that it helps stimulate the ability to speak
      normally. There is some question as to the effectiveness of MIT. But
      more recent, and more rigorously conducted, research has revealed that
      MIT can be very effective at recovering language function.

      Patients also generally have no trouble purposefully reciting anything
      they have memorized. The ability to utter profanity is also left
      unaffected, however the patient typically has no control over it, and
      may not even understand their own profanity.

      If Wernicke’s area is damaged in the non-dominant hemisphere, the
      syndrome resulting will be sensory dysprosody — the inability to
      perceive the pitch, rhythm, and emotional tone of speech.

      ----end quote

      But then again, maybe it would be cruel to ask someone with Wernicke's
      aphasia to comment on what never had any meaning.

      Polly
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
        Polly,

        I do not think that this passive aggressive swipe at me, performed as some sophomoric parting shot, is very becoming of you. Your examples, as usual, are also non sequitor. Theoretical physics has nothing to say about ethics or literary criticism, but that doesn't count ill for either physics or the other disciplines.

        Moreover, your sad attempt at lampooning philosophical discourse by supposing it to be on the order of a cognitive disorder is just plain boorish and Neanderthal.

        Try to demonstrate just a little class.

        Wil

[...]

        Individual Email | Traditional

        (Yahoo! ID required)

        existlist-digest@yahoogroups.com

        existlist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Herman
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2010
          Hi Wil,

          On 1 August 2010 11:44, <eupraxis@...> wrote:
          > Polly,
          >
          > I do not think that this passive aggressive swipe at me, performed as some sophomoric parting shot, is very becoming of you. Your examples, as usual, are also non sequitor. Theoretical physics has nothing to say about ethics or literary criticism, but that doesn't count ill for either physics or the other disciplines.
          >
          > Moreover, your sad attempt at lampooning philosophical discourse by supposing it to be on the order of a cognitive disorder is just plain boorish and Neanderthal.
          >
          > Try to demonstrate just a little class.

          I find it curious that you should form a conviction about my
          motivations in writing what I did, because they are far beyond your
          ability to know. Yet the facts in the world that I refer to in the
          context of human experience and reasoning do not rate a mention. I
          wouldn't say that anything you have written so far on this topic
          merits the title "philosophical discourse". An argument, any argument
          that refers to the real world, would be much appreciated.

          In the meantime, I will continue to post material that bolsters my
          position re human experience and reasons ie that they are a function
          of the embodied brain, and not a function of experience and reasons.
          I would welcome with open mind any evidence-based material that
          counters that position, there just hasn't been any forthcoming.

          Polly

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 1, 2010
            Polly,

            Your judgments on what is philosophical have already shown themselves to be puerile and amateur. I will henceforth consign your posts to the trash, as I do for Dick and others.

            Wil