understanding

    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 2, 2010
      I'm not sure that anyone actually understands anything but we enjoy feeling we do. Or rather, we feel we must in order to utilize this or that commodity or tool, put an experience into some context, or even the opportunity to belong to something. I think, today, that sorting according to our taste and need is important, because it is a kind of authenticity. The Others in our spheres of activities are entitled to know where we stand with them and vice versa. Whether one believes progress is possible or not, there is no point in pretending. This is a painfully personal lesson for me.

      The poet Bill Knott said something which is in mild circulation on some poetry blogs:

      Karl Marx said to Heinrich Heine: "Give up these everlasting complaints about love; show these poets how to use a whip."

      Whether verbatim or even relevant, this sentiment seems healthy!

      Mary
    • Herman
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 23, 2010
        Hi Mary,

        On 24 July 2010 05:07, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
        > Polly, I said part of reality includes the experience of wishing. I wish to understand many things. Is this wishing baseless if it also includes the actual attempt to understand as well as the wishing to understand? Camus believed we live in a tension between hope and reality, and this seems a fairly authentic perspective. Mary

        Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you, and with Camus. I chanced
        upon the following from Reinhold Niebuhr “Life is a battle between
        faith and reason in which each feeds upon the other, drawing
        sustenance from it and destroying it." Replace faith with hope, and it
        sounds much like the tension you mention (I'm a poet, and I don't even
        know it :-))

        Polly