Re: [existlist] My understanding

  • Brent Irvine
    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 2, 2010
      My demeanor is optimistic and happy - for some reason people assume this is the way I am. I don't feel that I am, but books and covers, ducks and quacks.
      I appreciate the absurdities and ironies of life, and once I recognized them for what they are, life became much less scary and much more enjoyable.
      I feel that people take life far too seriously, and also mistake personal comfort for meaning in existence.
      While I love luxury and comfort, honestly, I know I could walk away from a total loss without shedding a tear. Because I have.
      The same goes for love and companionship, except the part about tears.
      I have also learned you can deal with and put up with far more than you probably believe. And sometimes it is simply because you find yourself in a terrible situation not of your own making, and the reserves of strength that you find are from the decision to not fall apart and wallow.

      Love is precious precisely because it is so fragile and quickly taken away/changed. It isn't a weakness and certainly isn't an escape, I have found. Most definitely NOT the latter.

      I value intellectual honesty and integrity highly - it is better to make a decision with a clear honest reason, than to tell yourself lies even when the decision is exactly the same. I also value people who stick to their promises even when it gets tough.

      I also love it when someone meets a personal goal if they were unsure they could.

    • Herman
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 23, 2010
        Hi Mary,

        On 24 July 2010 05:07, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
        > Polly, I said part of reality includes the experience of wishing. I wish to understand many things. Is this wishing baseless if it also includes the actual attempt to understand as well as the wishing to understand? Camus believed we live in a tension between hope and reality, and this seems a fairly authentic perspective. Mary

        Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you, and with Camus. I chanced
        upon the following from Reinhold Niebuhr “Life is a battle between
        faith and reason in which each feeds upon the other, drawing
        sustenance from it and destroying it." Replace faith with hope, and it
        sounds much like the tension you mention (I'm a poet, and I don't even
        know it :-))

        Polly