My understanding

  • shadowed_statue
    Message 1 of 47 , Jul 2, 2010
      I have none. Scepticism is my constant fellow. There are only beliefs, and they change from day to day. I believe today in hatred, critical thought, and irony. If you wished to know what and why I hate (and why should I assume you would), first you must win my trust.

      Louise
    • Herman
      Message 47 of 47 , Jul 23, 2010
        Hi Mary,

        On 24 July 2010 05:07, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
        > Polly, I said part of reality includes the experience of wishing. I wish to understand many things. Is this wishing baseless if it also includes the actual attempt to understand as well as the wishing to understand? Camus believed we live in a tension between hope and reality, and this seems a fairly authentic perspective. Mary

        Thanks for clarifying. I agree with you, and with Camus. I chanced
        upon the following from Reinhold Niebuhr “Life is a battle between
        faith and reason in which each feeds upon the other, drawing
        sustenance from it and destroying it." Replace faith with hope, and it
        sounds much like the tension you mention (I'm a poet, and I don't even
        know it :-))

        Polly