Re: [existlist] Property is theft

  • Brent Irvine
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 1, 2010
      I'd agree that the Federal minimum wage (US$7/hr) isn't enough to support a family - and most likely people would work 2 jobs to make enough - or have one with a lot of overtime. There are a lot of minimum wage jobs, but I don't know what the statistics are - I am under the impression that even most fast-food jobs pay better than that so in effect the US doesn't have one. Mostly. The Median wage is about $15-20/hr and depending upon where you are, it may or may not be enough to live modestly if you had a family with one income. Most every family in the US has 2 incomes because it is economically required. I believe the UK is in a similar situation, too.

      I think the employment statistics are useful for measuring the economy and a touchstone on how healthy it may be. It is of little use to anyone beyond that - as you said individuals situation may not be reflected an abstract numbers like that. The same way someone who broke his or her arm on VE Day might not view it in the same light as the majority of people.

      Though, I would say we *are* talking quite abstractly at the moment.