Re: Philosophy & Politics

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010

      > Thanks for that. Gee, it is hard to believe that Zizek is 61!

      Can't believe I'm 61 either!

      > The Real is always the 'next' that makes us add something to our codex of rationalizations and theories.

      David Bohm couldn't have said it better. Philosophy and science search for better representations of the Real.
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
        Nothing bad about being 61, unless its not being 60. But I remember Zizek when he was twenty years younger (me too). I still think of him as a 'young Turk'.

        Wil

        > Thanks for that. Gee, it is hard to believe that Zizek is 61!

        Can't believe I'm 61 either!

        > The Real is always the 'next' that makes us add something to our codex of rationalizations and theories.

        David Bohm couldn't have said it better. Philosophy and science search for better representations of the Real.

      • Herman
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1, 2010
          Hi Mary,

          On 2 July 2010 00:51, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
          > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eupraxis@... wrote:
          >
          >> Thanks for that. Gee, it is hard to believe that Zizek is 61!
          >
          > Can't believe I'm 61 either!
          >
          >> The Real is always the 'next' that makes us add something to our codex of rationalizations and theories.
          >
          > David Bohm couldn't have said it better. Philosophy and science search for better representations of the Real.

          Thanks for the link. Much enjoyed it.

          I have a confession to make. I'm just a spring chicken. 51 :-)

          With regards to the search for "better" representations, I think we
          can differentiate between the motivations underlying that. There is
          the quest to simply understand at a deeper level, and at a very
          distant opposing pole is the quest to power, to dominate and
          subjugate. I liked Zizek's mention of acceptance, which puts him at
          the "simply understanding" pole.

          Polly