Philosophy & Politics

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 6:39 AM
      Here is an article from Sunday's Guardian regarding Slavoj Zizek and apropos our discussion :

      http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/jun/27/slavoj-zizek-living-end-times

      Mary
    • eupraxis@aol.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 7:18 AM
        Mary,

        Thanks for that. Gee, it is hard to believe that Zizek is 61! I met him when his first book had come out (Sublime Object...) when he had just come to NY, where I was at the time, and joined the Lacanian Circle, which he had subsequently dominated (I was a member of the Circle until I moved down here). He was younger, of course, but just as eccentric and unpredictable back then. He once gave a paper at NYU, which would become the basis of a forthcoming book, during which he fired off a series of apparently anti-Semitic jokes (at NYU, I remind you!), as examples of some obscure Lacanian point, of course. The audience cleared their throats, twisted in their chairs, rubbed their eyes, and tried to keep a smile. I never laughed so hard (at a philosophy talk, anyway). It was hilarious.

        More to the point, though,I do find his position on ecology hard to swallow entirely. He was beginning to sound a little like Camille Paglia for a while (in the video)! Of course, his general point is that the Real is a catastrophe, as it is constantly at odds with both the Imaginary (at all points) and the Symbolic, insofar as we can never devise a code or praxis that truly embraces its (the Real's) impossibility. The Real is always the 'next' that makes us add something to our codex of rationalizations and theories.

        Best,
        Wil

        Here is an article from Sunday's Guardian regarding Slavoj Zizek and apropos our discussion :

        http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2010/jun/27/slavoj-zizek-living-end-times

      • shadowed_statue
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 1 7:33 AM
          Mary,

          Yes, fascinating and stimulating. Thank you. Zizek will now be on my reading list for this year.

          Louise

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 1 7:51 AM

            > Thanks for that. Gee, it is hard to believe that Zizek is 61!

            Can't believe I'm 61 either!

            > The Real is always the 'next' that makes us add something to our codex of rationalizations and theories.

            David Bohm couldn't have said it better. Philosophy and science search for better representations of the Real.
          • eupraxis@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 1 7:58 AM
              Nothing bad about being 61, unless its not being 60. But I remember Zizek when he was twenty years younger (me too). I still think of him as a 'young Turk'.

              Wil

              > Thanks for that. Gee, it is hard to believe that Zizek is 61!

              Can't believe I'm 61 either!

              > The Real is always the 'next' that makes us add something to our codex of rationalizations and theories.

              David Bohm couldn't have said it better. Philosophy and science search for better representations of the Real.

            • Herman
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 1 3:41 PM
                Hi Mary,

                On 2 July 2010 00:51, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
                > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, eupraxis@... wrote:
                >
                >> Thanks for that. Gee, it is hard to believe that Zizek is 61!
                >
                > Can't believe I'm 61 either!
                >
                >> The Real is always the 'next' that makes us add something to our codex of rationalizations and theories.
                >
                > David Bohm couldn't have said it better. Philosophy and science search for better representations of the Real.

                Thanks for the link. Much enjoyed it.

                I have a confession to make. I'm just a spring chicken. 51 :-)

                With regards to the search for "better" representations, I think we
                can differentiate between the motivations underlying that. There is
                the quest to simply understand at a deeper level, and at a very
                distant opposing pole is the quest to power, to dominate and
                subjugate. I liked Zizek's mention of acceptance, which puts him at
                the "simply understanding" pole.

                Polly