Re memories of times past

  • dick.richardson@rocketmail.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2010
      Re memories of times past
      [ Yes! Great fun! More, more!!! Love, Hillary ]
      :- ))) That email brought quite a lot of feed-back. I don't know,
      it is bloody amazing innit, you write about these off the beaten track
      experiences which reveal parts of us which are not too readily
      accessible yet profound and most pooh-pooh it all and laugh at it, and
      yet when writing about common daily events in ones life they want more
      :- ))) I doubt very much that my normal daily life is any more
      interesting than anybody else's, and some folks lives are far more
      interesting. The only biography that I can remember reading (because it
      was the only one I read) was Winni Churchill's. I never liked the
      guy because he was a Capitalist and aristocratic bastard, but I did
      like him really, he was so funny, and he had the opportunity to do a few
      things. And he smoked a cigar whilst eating his dinner :- ) And during
      the war of course he did have what it took to motivate and inspire
      people – bit of a magician :- )

      But as for us normal bods, well I don't know, it is all much of a
      muchness isn't it. Even if I began telling a story of past times to
      any of the children or grandchildren they would all run out screaming
      – boring boring boring ! :- ) Never once, ever, have any of them
      asked to hear about anything. I used to ask my gran what it was like
      living in that huge family of sailors back in the eighteen hundreds and
      I was dead interested. Oh well !

      But in one sense I tend to agree with the implication of what you are
      saying, in that I find normal daily life on earth to be MORE PROFOUND
      than swanning around in that transcendent paradesium. My vote, like my
      feet, are ON THE GROUND. I guess that makes me an odd odd-ball :- )
      Unlike religionists I would not thank the forces that shape our being
      for what it is going to do but for what it has done, and not for
      paradise, but for the earth and FREEDOM. I wonder if there is another
      odd odd-ball like me around :- ) I doubt it. I keep telling them that a
      day in the fields of gold with a lover is far better than paradise.
      They are both real, but one is in the flesh, and it is fleeting, and
      the other isn't. No, let them have paradise I will have the earth.
      If there is anything `magic' in existence IT IS HERE AND NOW.
      And it doesn't take money to love life and have fun. They
      don't get it do they. What do you want to hear about old mate?

      Dick