Re: Politics, philosophy and people (The Family Idiot)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30, 2010
      Louise,

      A quick note regarding Sartre's fascination with autobiography. He and Beauvoir were entering their final decades, so their legacy was important to them. However, Simone was somewhat "flummoxed" both with the CDR and Sartre's Flaubert dedication. Politically she was always with Sartre, but the Critique was a philosophical turn she wasn't completely grasping. She had been a large part of Being and Nothingness and had applied its philosophy to her own writing. This, and largely the fact that Sartre had grown weary of her and was surrounding himself with other advisors and assistants. He, nevertheless, was quite focused and clear in his commitment. He answered a journalist when queried:

      "Because he is the opposite of what I am. I need to rub against everything that puts me into question. In The Words I wrote, 'I have often thought against myself.' That sentence has never been understood . . . But in fact, that's exactly how one should think: one should always be questioning one's own assumption."

      I relate to this and offer it as an excuse for my puzzling and confusing behavior here at existlist. I'm only now returning to an authentic mode of being, thanks in large part to your own integrity.

      (Source: Simone de Beauvoir, A Biography, Dierdre Bair, Simon & Shuster, 1990)