Re: The political is not the personal

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29, 2010
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "shadowed_statue" <hecubatoher@...> wrote:

      > No, I am not interested in how many people are reading whom at what date in the future. I find it interesting to read Sartre, now, and also to read Dick Richardson, when he writes a book that is measured and cogent in its expression, which it is. A contest in readership is a petty politics that is completely unexistential. Reader power? Hell, I don't even believe in people power. I believe in truth. That does not mean I am 'against' the people, only against abuses of power, committed by whomsoever ... and the people too are capable of that. The politics I believe in does not exist, so I should not be taking part in any of the political discussions. Long live the true republic of the mind. When that is part of mainstream culture, democracy will be aristocracy.
      >
      > Louise
      >Louise, I find it a new condition that you are reading Sartre. At one point you abhored him and all things French. I read him many years ago and have lived with the French on several ocassions since. Reading Sartre was for me a tedious business as his use of subordinate clauses was endless. I would lose track of the original subject and be forced to reread. It was a time when I had invested in speed reading and Sartre lived a war against simplicity.
      I see the same proclivities in Dick. Since he has little respect for us he skimms and bolts the material. His comprehension suffers and he resorts to bombast when caught. I feel this group plays a tighter game than in which Dick wishes to invest .
      Should you master JPS please translate with a less complex hand,then I might understand. Bill