Not the last crazy

  • William
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3 8:50 AM
      Today the NYT printed an article regarding the use of nuclear devices to seal run away wells. Some weeks ago I hinted at such a possibility and was ignored.
      It seems the soviet union used the method on four ocassions, three of the four worked.
      The NYT article speaks of political,environmental and geopolitical concerns regarding such an extremity.
      I do not want this, I am not asking for this but it seems time to consider something that could work.
      Conventional explosives would seem the first method but they will not fuse the rock and halt further leakage.
      Bp wants to save the well . As a corporation that may be the bottom line but knowing that, we need a more universal view and perspective.
      It is my sincere hope the top hat semi seal works but Bp will attempt to maintain control as long as they can make money from the well. They really do not care if it leaks as long as they get the lions share of the oil. They will lie about flow rates and environmental damage just as they have already done.
      I stand by my earlier ideas that this may be the only way to proceed and if I do not merit consideration so be it. I have said my piece and done my duty to my peers,those peers being you. WRH
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 3 9:09 AM
        I'm following the Seize BP movement which begins today and continues formally for the next week with demonstrations planned in at least 50 cities. I've also added my outrage by publishing a not so pretty poem.

        down in the parish

        (should have passed the lethe
        i saw an impossible blue rose
        a red brick cottage
        and a beautiful river
        they said it was
        the best place for fishing)

        just a matter of time
        before my eye levees broke
        carrying my heart
        down to Delacroix
        a gulf between the living
        and dead
        stilted homes
        built on silted islands
        washed away
        bait and outfitters gone
        fishing for babies now

        fuck those corporate
        seneschals of greed
        kyoto accord busters
        hope they perish
        covered in black gold
        mired in muck
        choking
        in all that texas tea

        (no phone no tv no radio
        we scramble onto
        a dilapidated rope bridge
        look down and feel cold water
        rising above our knees
        now up to our necks
        3 of us can't save 5 little ones
        do we choose)

        repose en paix
        mes cousins acadiens bébé

        This poem was inspired by several dreams involving water symbology and predated the devastation of Katrina. It seemed appropriate now to dust it off and blow it into the wind.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 3 10:02 AM

> [...]
          > > Bp wants to save the well . As a corporation that may be the bottom line but knowing that, we need a more universal view and perspective.
          > > It is my sincere hope the top hat semi seal works but Bp will attempt to maintain control as long as they can make money from the well. They really do not care if it leaks as long as they get the lions share of the oil. They will lie about flow rates and environmental damage just as they have already done.
          > > I stand by my earlier ideas that this may be the only way to proceed and if I do not merit consideration so be it. I have said my piece and done my duty to my peers,those peers being you. WRH
          > >
          >Reacting in outrage certainly can exacerbate the problem. The morotorium on new drilling in waters deeper that 500 ft. does not affect present production but will shut down exploratory rigs and throw 5000 workers out of a job.
          There is a platform,BP run, that dwarfs the one that sank. It is at risk and could run away with an even more massive spill. It is not affected by the moratorium and pumps on waiting for tragedy.The rig is far below specifications . Seize it? Close it down?
          The polotics inherant all of this are muddled. The republican south sees this as a chance to put a conservative administration back in power. I say that will not work. I will not go into the many,many reasons why that would signal the end of the USA , but I mention the financial debacle, the two war senario and now the oil sponsered environmental debacle. If we try to return to that sort of governance we will fall into revolt.
          Perhaps a clean start is to seize BP and use its assets to build alternative energy sources. The lawyers can probably hold up such an attempt but with sufficient public anger it could be accomplished.
          A nuclear extinguishment of the leaking well is frought with dangers to the political structure. If it fails or exacerbates the problem the political fallout could lead to the expulsion of the present congress and the impeachment of the president. Washington desperately wants to avoid this alternative.
          I am sitting,waiting to see if we plug the leak. I expect lies and excuses if it fails. I think we will have great trouble getting any reliable news on this problem. As I listen the chairman of BP is promising a full clean up. He is pretty and polite but few trust him.
          So far I have avoided buying BP products and will chart my response,small though it is, by what comes out of today.
          The top hat is about to be placed and I am just watching, for now. I wish us all good fortune. WRH
        • William
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 3 11:30 AM
            Will we dodge the bullet, do we have more time before something critical fails and a domimo effect brings civilisation to an end.I am happy to speak of recovery ,of regulatory reform, of financial reregulation, of a comprehensive energy policy, of emigration reform but I am grossely premature.
            What caused this rig to explode? Many factions could wish such a explosion. It was supposed to be unsinkable but it sunk. It sunk along with the evidence of the failure. It mimics the twin towers in that the perpetrators were all vaporised. Sure ,you have thought about that but who would suicide bomb an oil rig? Who would allow Osama to escape from Tora Bora? How far will the ultra rich go to preserve their dominance?
            This kind of thinking knaws away at trust and that trust is what binds modern civilisation. I think what we have seen in the gulf is just the bringing in of a huge oil find. If it was sabotage we may never know but the effulent from the well seems more and more dense crude. The natural gas fraction has blown away and now the valuable product can be capped and processed. Perhaps the big one just came in and BP needed a depository for the gas and low quality oil. The high sulfer fraction is very hard to refine and we have plenty of gas.Let the fishermen clean up that orange shit floating in the marshes. Bp has a huge well intact and the oil game goes on.
            I hope they cap it but that is just a most temporary fix. The bullet is still in the chamber, now who would risk firing it? Wrh