Concerning mystics

  • fleeting_return
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hello again, Dick.

      I called Richard Rolle a mystic on the strength of having read his book, "The Fire of Love", which is autobiographical and relates his spiritual experiences. Surely there are many ways to be a mystic? Why should studying the Bible disqualify a man from the title? I feel as though I am being asked to take your word for it, that you are a mystic and others not.

      As for my probably misplaced 'advice', I was just responding to what you wrote in your post 51705, where you ask a lot of questions, about the idea of writing an autobiography.

      Anyway, for me, this discussion is in a direction away from group topic. Unlike you, it seems, I put a high value on reading, and I turn to philosophical books because, actually, I do find that there is life in them, and I am the more alive when I engage with them. For that matter, love is a many-splendoured thing, and to write or read a book can be an expression of love.

      Louise
    • richard_pendarvis
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3, 2010
        I did not say that he was NOT a mystic ma'am, how the hell would I
        know that, I never met the guy and chatted with him. Neither did you. If
        you wish to judge such things by what people write then good for you, go
        for it if you feel a need for that kind of thing. It seems that many
        folks do. None of my business is it. And where and when did I ever tell
        anybody to listen to me and take notice? That is not true. Far from it
        in fact. But if he WAS a mystic then his writing about it was crap.

        I was referring to what I read about him years ago. That is only reading
        words on a page isn't it. It is not life. Not only that but it was
        long long time ago, and they did not talk and write like we do now. You
        know that. But if you wan to take that as the criteria for your judgment
        of what a mystic is then go for it. It makes not a blind jot of
        diffrence to life or other people. DON'T listen to me. Go do your
        own finding. Is that message clear enough? Or shall I say it again and
        again and again for the next fifty years also? You judge a book by what
        it say and what you have read in it so it seems. You also seem to judge
        ones which you have not read. Fascinating. But it does not matter and it
        effect nothing. I AM NOT a teacher. I write books. Talk and write of
        your own mystical experiences, and let it blow on the wind and do what
        it does. As for an Autobiography I was addressing questions put to me to
        do that. I don't want to do it. There is no point. And I have also
        included enough of it the books anyway. Enough is enough. YOU do it.
        YOU do it. YOU do it.

        rwr

        --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "fleeting_return" <hecubatoher@...>