Re: [existlist] Re: Confabulation

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 35 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hi Louise,

      On 3 June 2010 10:28, fleeting_return <hecubatoher@...> wrote:
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, Herman <hhofmeister@...> wrote:
      >>

      >> > Why monstrous?  Your own presence is the only one you have.  L.
      >> >

      >> Just who is having who here?
      >>
      >> Polly
      >>
      > Sorry?  I don't understand.  As I said in my earlier message, my own conviction is that the particularity of human sentience is the only end for man [the species, that is].  I thought you might value your conscious awareness, and that the objections to lost time would then be >quite reasonable, and not monstrous.  Is the void preferable to life?  Or am I confusing >myself?

      My operating theatre experience was beautiful and sufficient evidence
      against the position that "the earth is exactly what it appears to be"
      (quoting you from another thread yesterday :-)).

      Why would conscious awareness be valued when it is realised that the
      continuity and persistence it suggests is entirely illusory? The
      simple reality is that consciousness cannot contemplate it's own
      absence, and "the mind" fills in the explanatory gaps from an
      abundance of horror vacui. Is the illusion of a persistent subject
      preferable to the absence of what isn't there?

      Polly
    • fleeting_return
      Message 35 of 35 , Jun 8, 2010
        Christopher,

        I appreciate the suggestion. Searching in library catalogues, and on Amazon, I cannot find this particular title. Is it a short story?

        Louise