Richard Rolle

  • richard_pendarvis
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2010
      Richard Rolle

      [ Hello Dick.

      I've been thinking about this question of yours for a little while.
      Richard Rolle. A good straightforward Yorkshireman. And a reputation
      impatience with the less enlightened :-). He wrote, "The Fire of Love",
      includes spiritual counsel based on personal experience. Not quite your
      kind of
      thing, but then you are not a Christian mystic. What would be the
      from your perspective? The advice you give is fairly elementary and
      - go out there and find out for yourself. Encouragement to overcome
      torpor and
      the scorn of others.

      So an autobiography in your case might be more or less void of
      exhortation and
      exegesis, letting the experiences, mystical or not, speak for
      themselves. That
      is how I would imagine an autobiography that you might write.

      As to what to put in, leave out, I do not think you need to find any
      pattern, only to provide context which enables the reader to follow the
      of events (unless you particularly wish to subvert expectations in this
      or reflect an uncommon view of temporality, which is also, I think, not
      type of thing). Put in what is vivid, the common and the uncommon.

      By the way, I am completely unqualified to offer advice on the basis of
      what might be popular or saleable. Just a few passing thoughts. And I
      the question here of how to write a book touches also upon the remarks
      Jim is
      making about 'changing hearts and minds'. It is not at all that I am
      opposed to such changes occurring. Some forms of sensibility, motive,
      action, really are, to my perception, more enlightened than others. But
      there exists an intent to change hearts and minds is not necessarily
      the way
      such change may occur. And, as Nietzsche points out in "The Joyful
      [*Sanctus Januarius* 321], our efforts to change an individual may
      result in
      ourselves being changed.

      Best wishes,
      Louise ]

      Good morning Louise and thank your for the good wishes. May I offer you
      the same. What is a christian mystic ma'am, and who do you think
      invented that term and why? Why do you consider Rolle to be a mystic?
      He was a medieval christian theologian by all accounts and also a
      hermit who spent his life studying the bible. That is enough to fuck
      anybody up isn't it. Don't you think that is what it is
      designed for? Being in love does not make a mystic. Neither does
      reading books. Most human beings love, and many of them read books too.
      But you will not find many mystics. And to know one you have to be one.

      As for me I would not want to write an autobiography, for what would be
      the point? I dont do things for no reason. Not only that but it would
      take too long anyway, and waste of time. Anyway, I don't need one,
      I can remember it all. I have written far more than enough, and folks
      can do with it what they will. It is not for me to change people is it,
      and I could not do that anyway. But a little food for thought and they
      might change themselves. It is sure needed on this world; for the place
      is insane. Humanity is hardly awake yet is it. Their head either seems
      to be around their genitals or in their bank account. Or both.

      As for giving advice then that is not my job is it, let forks do what
      they think is right, that is their business. I am not looking for
      advice. Here is life, here is me, I am what I am, and I live it. I have
      written about what I have found, what it revealed and the effects and
      implications of it. Let others do the same. We could then seek
      correlations. But they don't do they. Why is that then ? I
      don't need mystics ma'am, or their books – even if they are
      mystics ;- )

      Tell me this – how could anyone ever be a mystic whilst being a
      religionist? It is an oxymoron. Mystics do not jump into bed with
      religion/s. It is the way of it. Was not Karl Marx and Vaughan
      Williams mystics? Why look to the past to seek what is with you now
      and always? As for writing stuff which is popular and saleable. Wow
      eh. The day that mystics are popular and saleable will be the day that
      pigs fly and shit real ale in your jug in passing. DON'T look to
      religions for mystics ma'am, and don't look to the past for
      yourself, it is with you now. Oh, sorry, that is a wee bit of advice
      isn't it; hey ho :- )

      Gnothi Saeuton

      Dick Richardson Depth Psychology.