Re: I am finding this very difficult

  • fleeting_return
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2010
      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "richard_pendarvis" <richard_pendarvis@...> wrote:

      > I am finding this very difficult
      >
      > An autobiography of a mystical life. Has anyone ever done it?

      Hello Dick.

      I've been thinking about this question of yours for a little while. There's Richard Rolle. A good straightforward Yorkshireman. And a reputation for impatience with the less enlightened :-). He wrote, "The Fire of Love", which includes spiritual counsel based on personal experience. Not quite your kind of thing, but then you are not a Christian mystic. What would be the equivalent, from your perspective? The advice you give is fairly elementary and invariable - go out there and find out for yourself. Encouragement to overcome torpor and the scorn of others.

      So an autobiography in your case might be more or less void of exhortation and exegesis, letting the experiences, mystical or not, speak for themselves. That is how I would imagine an autobiography that you might write.

      As to what to put in, leave out, I do not think you need to find any definite pattern, only to provide context which enables the reader to follow the sequence of events (unless you particularly wish to subvert expectations in this regard, or reflect an uncommon view of temporality, which is also, I think, not your type of thing). Put in what is vivid, the common and the uncommon.

      By the way, I am completely unqualified to offer advice on the basis of knowing what might be popular or saleable. Just a few passing thoughts. And I think the question here of how to write a book touches also upon the remarks Jim is making about 'changing hearts and minds'. It is not at all that I am somehow opposed to such changes occurring. Some forms of sensibility, motive, and action, really are, to my perception, more enlightened than others. But whether there exists an intent to change hearts and minds is not necessarily the way such change may occur. And, as Nietzsche points out in "The Joyful Wisdom" [*Sanctus Januarius* 321], our efforts to change an individual may result in ourselves being changed.

      Best wishes,
      Louise