Re: Non-mystical musings

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 2, 2010
      Louise,

      I appreciate your recent posts. I want to respond her to what you wrote about "changing hearts and minds" and the different perspectives of the theist and the atheist.

      I think the biggest difference between the theist (the person of faith) and the atheist is that the theist trusts that God is all-powerful and thus is in ultimate control of human history. This divine guidance of the course of events is often called providence or governance.

      If one believes in God's governance then one has no motivation to change hearts and minds, this can be left to God. Rather, one should use one's time and energy to work on oneself. Kierkegaard is particularly clear on this issue.

      By contrast, the atheist believes that the future is up for grabs: there is no all-powerful, perfectly good being or force to ensure that human history progresses in a satisfactory manner.

      From our current point in human history, the atheist faces up to the possibility that if human beings continue to think and behave as they have done up until now, then we will poison the earth irreversibly, and the human race will die out.

      I firmly believe that unless there is a fundamental change of hearts and minds, the human race will become extinct within the next two hundred years. That is why a new way of thinking – a less materialistic and hedonistic way – is needed in order for the earth to survive as a planet capable of sustaining human life and human flourishing for future generations.

      Either that or the sort of World Government that Polly has argued for.

      Jim