Philosophical concept of self

    Message 1 of 3 , May 30, 2010
      The cataclysm in the Gulf of Mexico is the quintessential example of the failure to see a connection between all living things. The self is an incorrect abstract drawn from an obvious reality of difference. It's small wonder David Bohm suffered with depression. Mary
    • tom
      Message 2 of 3 , May 30, 2010
        Mary,

        As infants, we see everything as one, but that is the oral stage. As the infant begins to realize that he or she and mom are distinct beings, the universe breaks up into seperate beings, and objects. Certainly western culture has taken the disconnection between seperate parts of the universe to an extreme degree. In the last 40 years or so, ecology is beginning to put into scientific models the intuitive unity that pagans and easterners experienced intuitively.

        As for Bohm's depressions, I read 1 of them was brought about as he got disillusioned with Krismurti's personal life.

        Peace,
        Tom
        The cataclysm in the Gulf of Mexico is the quintessential example of the failure to see a connection between all living things. The self is an incorrect abstract drawn from an obvious reality of difference. It's small wonder David Bohm suffered with depression. Mary

      • irvhal
        Message 3 of 3 , May 30, 2010
          Perhaps. But might it be just as indicative of our finitude, of the elusiveness of omniscience. Or of the inevitable trade-offs or mishaps inherent in any productive endeavor to ensure our survival in a not too tidy and orderly universe?

          Irvin