Re: [existlist] A rock and the hard place

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 2 , May 25, 2010
      Hi Bill,

      On 26 May 2010 00:36, William <v.valleywestdental@...> wrote:
      > Now before you all explode  in fits of righteous indignation,  I ask you to consider the events we are seeing . Our friends at BP have exposed an oil vein in the depths of the ocean. It is a bad bleeder, a big vein or small artery. A good surgeon would cut down to it and tie it off ,but it is deep,under water. Remember how the Romans left peacefully, in a bath of warm water, exsanguination can be painless.
      >  Now  a common retort to massive bleeding was fire. Burn it shut! Oh of course only as a last resort but do not wait too long. Patients bleed out and so do ecosystems. Alone

      I don't know if you were aware, but a similar fate befell a platform
      in the Timor Sea of Western Australia last year. It leaked oil for
      about two months, caught fire and kept burning until it was finally
      plugged with mud. I think it is referred to as the Montara oil spill.

      I wonder what social upheaval there would be if the US citizenry, who
      consume 400 million gallons of gasoline per day, would have their
      appetites tested by a price hike? In Australia we pay $1.30 per litre,
      about $5.00 AUD per gallon, give or take. When in Europe last year, we
      paid about double that. It appears that the differential pricing of
      gasoline around the globe is unrelated to the cost of production, but
      more tied to national social policy via the tax system. Could the USA
      still be the USA if it seriously curbed its own use of nonrenewable
      energy?

      Polly