Like a refugee

  • William
    Message 1 of 2 , May 10, 2010
      Tom and Mary, This species has just begun to have the ability to count the relativistic effects of cosmic distance travel. Light speed travel would seem necessary for interstellar activity. Some civilisation that could get here would need be advanced. I think that would include a realisation that war destruction is seldom in a species benefit.We could be so little advanced that a visitor could erase us with no damage to themselves. One of Larry Kings cosmologists preposed a visitor akin to galactic strip miners who would wipe us out because we were a nuisance to their purposes. I just do not think we can foresee what we would deal with. Therefore I agree with Hawking and would err on the side of caution. Listen,but send no signals.
      The fact that we begin to think about this, plan for contingencies is the first step in an encounter. If and when we develope a propulsion system for the stars and have a destination we would seem to become the visitor and choice shifts to us. Hawkins wants us to find basic biology before we search for intelligence. He wants to search for liquid water and microbes. It sounds like a reasonable step . I think it exciting to consider such things and philosophically imperative in charting the answer to the third question. Where are we going? Bill
    • tom
      Message 2 of 2 , May 10, 2010
        Bill, Mary and all,

        Certainly the concept of aliens from other galaxies, or some would say maybe other dimensions would open up all sorts of possibilities. If there were more advanced beings observing us, they might be obtaining information on us before making contact. Their actions toward us might be in line with what type of creatures they have decided they are dealing with. And of course, the very essential question arises as to what extent such a civilization would have not only reached higher levels of technology, but also to what extent they have reached higher levels of wisdom. To a large extent our assumptions about aliens are projections of the different possible scenarios to which humans might evolve or self destruct. It might be said that humanity is a work in progress. In terms of the cosmos, the 40,000 years or so since homeo sapiens emerged might be pretty brief. Reasoning and imagination might be like options on an appliance, that bestow enormous advantages when working properly, but still have many bugs to be worked out in them.
        The addition of the reasoning and imagination function was accompanied by an alienation with instincts shared by other animals, fish, birds, insects etc. The myth of eating from the tree of knowledge and the consequent exile from the Garden of Eden appears to be pointing at this stage of evolution. I believe the reconnection of the human intellect, imagination, and will with the instinctual nature from which it has largely been disconnected is one of the great hopes and challenges facing humanity. The east has had many traditions that have moved in that direction. Certainly, we need not be limited to the tools and customs of any particular tradition, and hopefully various modes from current science etc. can be used to integrate the human mind and body.Humans have struggled to the top of the food chain a long time ago. The very forces that enabled humans to climb to the top of the chain have increasingly become the significant dangers to humans. Technology and organization have enabled humans to triumpth over lions and tigers. But this technology and organization is now big brother. Of course Orwell's 1984, was the epitome of Einstein's fear of technology exceeding humanity. I have heard some speculation that life may seed itself in various galaxies, and over time life and intelligence developes. The speculation is that we might be going through a transition period in which wisdom either will guide technology, or else the species through warfare, ecolgical destruction etc.would destroy itself and all life or at least all intelligent life. And maybe in a few billion years, the whole process would start again. but of course the cosmos has an eternity

        Tossing and Turning

        Tossing and turning, waking up from a long slumber.
        Getting hip to being more than just a number.
        Getting hip to trees being more than just lumber.
        Rising and falling, starting and stalling.
        Is it the New Age or Armageddon, that we hear calling?

        Cool Cat
        www.thecoolcat.net

        ps I have also speculated that as language developed, there has been a dual purpose in language. On one hand language has been used as a tool to communicate. On the other language has a long history of being used to control, disempower, and deceive.

        Tossing and Turning

        Tossin

        Tossing and Turning

        Tossing and turning, waking up from a long slumber.

        Getting hip to being more than just a number.

        Getting hip to trees being more than just lumber.

        Rising and falling, starting and stalling.

        Is it the New Age or Armageddon, that we hear calling?

        Groovy ma