Re: [existlist] Re: Holomovement

  • tom
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2010
      William,

      There are powerful forces in the police state and prison, industrial complex that push to expand punishments to keep prisons full and growing, and cops, probation officers, jailers etc. busy. The police state like the military industrial complex is largely self serving, and spouts garbage to get well meaning allies, who don't get economic benefits from it. Since 1970, the people behind bars in the US has went from about 200,000 to over 2 million, while crimes with victims rate has only increased slightly. The war on drugs has produced the most prisoners, but reduced alcohol levels for DUI, mandatory jail time for DUI offenders, spousal abuse laws that don't even permit the alleged victim to drop charges, arresting 20 something female teachers for having sex with male students etc.have also helped. The war on drugs to the police state might be like a right cross to a boxer, his number 1 knockout punch, but he also has hooks, uppercuts etc. which are like the stricter DUI laws, spousal abuse, and sex offences. I suspect these special interests are always looking for some new law to lock more people up, California is now spending more money on incarceration than education.

      Peace,
      Tom
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2010

        > William,
        >
        > There are powerful forces in the police state and prison, industrial complex that push to expand punishments to keep prisons full and growing, and cops, probation officers, jailers etc. busy. The police state like the military industrial complex is largely self serving, and spouts garbage to get well meaning allies, who don't get economic benefits from it. Since 1970, the people behind bars in the US has went from about 200,000 to over 2 million, while crimes with victims rate has only increased slightly. The war on drugs has produced the most prisoners, but reduced alcohol levels for DUI, mandatory jail time for DUI offenders, spousal abuse laws that don't even permit the alleged victim to drop charges, arresting 20 something female teachers for having sex with male students etc.have also helped. The war on drugs to the police state might be like a right cross to a boxer, his number 1 knockout punch, but he also has hooks, uppercuts etc. which are like the stricter DUI laws, spousal abuse, and sex offences. I suspect these special interests are always looking for some new law to lock more people up, California is now spending more money on incarceration than education.
        >
        > Peace,
        > Tom
        The knee jerk laws written in panic need review. Some poor mother who has lost a child in an accident petitions the legislature and we have Jimmys law or Jenas law . They are often highly punative and broadly written.
        In Marys question there is a kernal of truth. The collectivists ,the social do gooders will always gravitate toward more law,more punishment,more cops,more jails. This rush to punishment only infuriates the nihilistic faction and social discord ensues. If there were a legal method of removing such rules frustration could be avoided.Rules, promulgated by bureaucrats are worse than legislated laws. Any citizen should be able to challenge such rules and the antilegislature would be charged to review the propriety of the rule. This is no more than an extension of the checks and balances inherant in our constitution. Bill

        Message 3 of 7 , May 8, 2010
          William,

          We are seeing the same reality. A mom has her beloved son killed by a guy with .2 alcohol level, and they pass a law where someone with a .08 is considered under influence from Jimmy's law. A six year old girl gets kidnapped, raped, and murdered and they pass Amber's law, which sends a 27 year old female teacher to jail for sex with a 16 year old male student.Congressional bills are often over a thousand pages these days, so nobody knows all that is in them. I heard the law that eastablished homesteading was only 4 pages.

          Peace,
          Tom

          Message 4 of 7 , May 8, 2010