difference

  • William
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 13, 2010
      Ants interest me,always have. Tiny individuals acting like one in a hostile world. Much like working class humans they toil and die only to be replaced by millions more.
      I have fought two ant colonies,I won one war and lost another one. The first was with a huge colony in the vacant lot ,next door. It started by just kicking in the main cone and getting covered by the biting warrior ants . I went back with cherry bombs and black cats but they drove me off again. Then I used M80`s and finally gasoline. The huge colony disappeared. They fought back very hard and caused me a lot of pain. Fascinating, tough insects.
      The next time I encountered a rare happening,ants on the move. This is not the potubume of the African ants, this is black ants moving their nest and queen. It was a strip five inches wide and blocks long. They went into a hole in the ground. I stomped them on the paqvement until there was a black goo but they just kept coming. I saw the queen but left her alone. The ants won that one. These individuals are singular organisms but have such little genetic diversity as to act as one organism. Simplistic, little educated human resemble these little organisms. How many ants do we want, how many do we need to balance the ecosystem. I do not think anyone knows, about the ants or the humans. WRH
    • tom
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 14, 2010
        William,

        Eistensialism and other modalities that emphasize human individuality, and human freedom would be wise to be aware of their eternal opponent, the various values of individuals acting as one. Certainly, there is military value in such. Whatever we might criticize about the Nazis, there is no doubt that they were an extremely effective fighting force. I once read Carl Jung saying that in a typical tribe, the only individuals are the chief and the witchdoctor.They are in effect the cortex, and the others are basically the cerebelum. Marshal McLuhan maintained that printed media created the individual, since reading is such an individual act. McLuhan maintained that the invention of the printing press allowed the Protestant experience to unfold, wherein the individual was encouraged to read their bible as opposed to the more right brained rituals and statures historically used in Catholicism.

        You wrote
        Ants interest me,always have. Tiny individuals acting like one in a hostile world.

        Creative thinkers and the military powers that operate most efficiently by no one thinking above their pay grade are natural enemies. A classic case was the high degree of hostility during the Manhattan Project between Szilard, the guy whose letter to FDR Einstein cosigned stating the reality that such a bomb could be made, and General Groves, the military head of the Manhattan Project

        Peace,
        Tom.

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 15, 2010

          > William,
          >
          > Eistensialism and other modalities that emphasize human individuality, and human freedom would be wise to be aware of their eternal opponent, the various values of individuals acting as one. Certainly, there is military value in such. Whatever we might criticize about the Nazis, there is no doubt that they were an extremely effective fighting force. I once read Carl Jung saying that in a typical tribe, the only individuals are the chief and the witchdoctor.They are in effect the cortex, and the others are basically the cerebelum. Marshal McLuhan maintained that printed media created the individual, since reading is such an individual act. McLuhan maintained that the invention of the printing press allowed the Protestant experience to unfold, wherein the individual was encouraged to read their bible as opposed to the more right brained rituals and statures historically used in Catholicism.
          >
          > You wrote
          > Ants interest me,always have. Tiny individuals acting like one in a hostile world.
          >
          > Creative thinkers and the military powers that operate most efficiently by no one thinking above their pay grade are natural enemies. A classic case was the high degree of hostility during the Manhattan Project between Szilard, the guy whose letter to FDR Einstein cosigned stating the reality that such a bomb could be made, and General Groves, the military head of the Manhattan Project
          >
          > Peace,
          > Tom.

          The german high command had tribal loyalties on their side as did the bushido Japanese. In a melting pot society true segregation is often used. Irish and Italian regiments were very effective.
          Your keen appreciation of propaganda as a control mechanism should acknowledge the incroachment of corporate security into the lives of private citisens. The fourth and first amendments deal with such matters and so I am on alert for bureaucrats banning and prying into private matters in our lives. I do not respond to polls,fill out questioners or speak to the press, such bureaucracys can only be controlled by the individual at an information source.
          Providing an information source ,if well restrained, can be a tool for the private party to communicate and disseminate ideas to other thinkers. I consider you an honest broker of ideas even though I do not often agree with your political champion. This back water source is little read because of its boring nature and content but it is a way outside without undo exposure. If I were in the ant or bee world I would wish to be a queen---someday I may move to San Francisco. WRH