Thought lacks imagination

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 6, 2010
      Polly wrote:

      >If something cannot be taught or one cannot intend to learn it, then
      indeed acquiring it is a matter of chance, a lottery.

      >If knowledge and health cannot be taught / learned, then the
      suggestion that they are nonetheless desirable comes from a twisted
      elitist mind.

      >You're talking about definitions you have learnt. There is nothing to
      accept or reject in a definition. There's no truth in a definition.

      These statements are difficult to counter and lay bare the idiocy of traditional education systems, and by circular `extension,' traditional philosophies. What interests me is whether intent to unlearn is as predetermined or futile. How is it some are able to cognitively grasp a solution to a problem but lack the emotional flexibility to promote or implement it? How is it some grasp the problem but haven't the capacity to envision a solution? Why do we lack the necessary resolve for sustained dialog?

      Are we oppressed? Who do we hold responsible? None other than the system of thought. If my ideas, intentions, and actions are determined by both this system and genetics, also a product of thought, how can freedom and responsibility mean what we really need them to mean what they mean?!?

      I think it necessary to pose problems for the existential tenets of freedom and responsibility, and I agree with Nietzsche these concepts originated among the elite. They understood the power of thought and fed into the system ideas which control the masses. If freedom and responsibility are not real or unattainable, what is the point of education or philosophy? The answer is obvious.

      It takes imagination to wiggle out from between a rock and a hard place, and what is creative imagination if not unconditioned perception? Hopefully, imaginative thinking has the power to transform thought. Perhaps we might see thought as the rock pulling Sisyphus up and down that hard hill. This isn't very creative, but you see what I mean.