Re: [existlist] Directions for searchers

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2010
      Hi Tom,

      On 5 April 2010 04:33, tom <tsmith17_midsouth1@...> wrote:
      > William,
      >
      > Yes, I recall it well. I have that album.I guess the phrase points out the tribal, predatory hunting party nature of cops. Tribal people have more unity with each other than most civilized people do, but anything outside the tribe is possible food for the tribe. The altar boy scandals show a good bit of the tribal brotherhood spirit typical of law enforcement. I recall a quote from the book "Serpico" where when some of the other cops start suspecting Serpico might be informing on their rackets asks Serpico"You wouldn't do anything to hurt another cop, would you?"

      I think there is a predatory foundation and structure to the entire
      society in which you live. It's not just the cops.

      Here's a quote from James K. Galbraith, son of the famous economist
      John Kenneth Galbraith:

      "Today, the signature of modern American capitalism is neither benign
      competition, nor class struggle, nor an inclusive middle-class utopia.
      Instead, predation has become the dominant feature — a system wherein
      the rich have come to feast on decaying systems built for the middle
      class. The predatory class is not the whole of the wealthy; it may be
      opposed by many others of similar wealth. But it is the defining
      feature, the leading force. And its agents are in full control of the
      government under which we live."

      Polly