Re: Existentialism in Cinema

  • PoetCSW
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2010
      James:

      Thank you for the kind words. The Primer has some major flaws and I have started revising some of the content. Thankfully, I am defending my doctorate in April (or May thanks to a committee member who is in the arctic circle), and I should have more time to update the site properly.

      Cinema:

      I would consider Werner Herzog, Jean-Luc Godard, Fellini, Bergman. I'd argue even films such as The Godfather ask about destiny vs. free will. Fight Club, Bladerunner, Brazil, and the pop-answer: The Matrix series. Road to Perdition is great, too. As it was originally a graphic novel, you might consider The Watchmen in the same vein.

      I love The Third Man, as well, but as it relates to creating a personal morality. Harry Lime is one of my favorite characters and I listen to the radio plays often. (The Lives of Harry Lime, if you are curious.)

      Most people toss in Apocalypse Now, but I'm not sure.

      I'm not normally around on the mailing list, since I'm trying to locate job and that has turned into a full-time pursuit. Feel free to e-mail me directly from The Existential Primer links. I am learning there are definitely far too many Ph.Ds in the world...

      - C. S. Wyatt