Re: [existlist] Re: Is language creative enough?

  • tom
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 16, 2010
      Mary,

      Very interesting post. Certainly Bohm was on the edge of the next step, whatever that might be.Ironically, Bohm suffered from depression in his later years. That reminds me of our recent discussion of Nietzsche and his problems in his later years.Suppsedly, as Netzsche went mad he left a note signed"The crucified one". Certainly, the myth of the crucifiction describes the human condition, of a relatively high capacity to reason and imagine encased in a body subject to age, disease, being eaten, tortured etc.

      Near the end of his life, Bohm began to experience a recurrence of depression which he had suffered at earlier times in his life. He was admitted to the Maudsley Hospital in South London on 10 May 1991. His condition worsened and it was decided that the only thing that might help him was electroconvulsive therapy. Bohm's wife consulted psychiatrist David Shainberg, Bohm's long-time friend and collaborator, who agreed that electroconvulsive treatments were probably his only option. Bohm showed marked improvement from the treatments and was released on 29 August. However, his depression returned and was treated with medication.

      Here is another quote by Bohm.

      Thought as a System
      Bohm was alarmed by what he considered an increasing imbalance of not only 'man' and nature, but among peoples, as well as people, themselves. Bohm: "So one begins to wonder what is going to happen to the human race. Technology keeps on advancing with greater and greater power, either for good or for destruction." He goes on to ask:

      What is the source of all this trouble? I'm saying that the source is basically in thought. Many people would think that such a statement is crazy, because thought is the one thing we have with which to solve our problems. That's part of our tradition. Yet it looks as if the thing we use to solve our problems with is the source of our problems. It's like going to the doctor and having him make you ill. In fact, in 20% of medical cases we do apparently have that going on. But in the case of thought, it's far over 20%.

      In Bohm's view:

      ...the general tacit assumption in thought is that it's just telling you the way things are and that it's not doing anything - that 'you' are inside there, deciding what to do with the info. But you don't decide what to do with the info. Thought runs you. Thought, however, gives false info that you are running it, that you are the one who controls thought. Whereas actually thought is the one which controls each one of us. Thought is creating divisions out of itself and then saying that they are there naturally. This is another major feature of thought: Thought doesn't know it is doing something and then it struggles against what it is doing. It doesn't want to know that it is doing it. And thought struggles against the results, trying to avoid those unpleasant results while keeping on with that way of thinking. That is what I call "sustained incoherence"

      I certainly agree with Bohm, Einstein etc that the most important challenge for humanity is to transform our minds to be fit masters of the rapidly evolving technology.

      Again, I compliment you on a very interesting post.

      I will close with a short poem from my website www.thecoolcat.net

      Tossing and Turning

      Tossing and turning, waking up from a long slumber.

      Getting hip to being more than just a number.

      Getting hip to trees being more than just lumber.

      Rising and falling, starting and stalling.

      Is it the New Age or Armageddon, that we hear calling?

      Groovy man

      by the Cool Cat

      Peace,

      Tom