Existentialism, Individualism, Modernism, Science and the Collective

    Message 1 of 24 , Mar 14, 2010
      The neurochemical explanation of thinking seems perfectly reasonable. But while this process appears to enable thought, it doesn't account for its content. The neurochemical aspect of an entire thought system (individual and collective) seems to act more autonomically than we are comfortable admitting. Content of individual thought-feeling seems to derive from and contribute to the collective chemical swirl, so we're stuck in a whole system of thought-feelings yet believe we independently possess them. This delusion accounts for both the materialist and non-materialist account of thinking. Inspiration or creativity seems to arrive from internal and external 'sources.'

      Because thinking is not separate from emotion and physical sensation, which together operate as a pain-pleasure dynamic; though we may recognize that we have absorbed or contributed significant misinformation and error, we have little hope for correction. (I'm not speaking of facts here but what we do with them.) Thought is and also mimics chemical repeatability which creates reflexes which resist examination. Consequently we have developed a habit of what David Bohm calls "sustained incoherence," or conflicting, contradictory thoughts and actions.

      I see existentialism as a recognition and struggle to correct course. Problem is, everyone is pulling in different directions and going nowhere. We seem to be torn between personal acceptance of this going nowhere and a desire for making things better somehow. Well, I am anyway. Dialogue among and between groups must include not only the specific issues at stake but the very examination of how thought-feelings expressed through language are creating obstacles for solutions. How likely is that? Can we stay open to the possibility of the unconditioned and creative aspects of being?