Re: Whom does it serve?

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2010
      Mary,

      You write:

      "Jim, I am somehow comforted by Alone's polemic and Tom's questions to you, because it seems you have no grasp of Nietzsche. You might do well to read the following, and then as a self-respecting solitary, decide if existentialism is a collective idealism. Mary"

      I am pleased to hear you are comforted by Alone's polemic and Tom's questions to me.

      As far as I am aware I have answered any questions Tom has asked me, but if you feel I have not, please tell me which questions you have in mind.

      I think I understand Nietzsche reasonably well – though if Wil or Hb3g were to criticise my interpretation I would go back to my Nietzsche texts and reconsider.

      Please pick out anything I have said about Nietzsche which you disagree with, and I will respond to your criticisms.

      I wonder if you have really understood my recent posts, as I do distinguish my own views from Nietzsche's. (I have used Nietzsche as a foil.) I have said I find Nietzsche too pro-individual and too anti-communitarian for my liking. I don't think this, in itself, disqualifies me as an existentialist. Not all existentialists turned their backs on questions of social policy the way Nietzsche did.

      I am not quite sure what you mean by suggesting that I view existentialism as a "collective idealism". Perhaps you could say in what sense you see me as arguing for "collective idealism", and why you think this is against the spirit of existentialism.

      Jim