Whom does it serve?

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 3, 2010
      Jim, I am somehow comforted by Alone's polemic and Tom's questions to you, because it seems you have no grasp of Nietzsche. You might do well to read the following, and then as a self-respecting solitary, decide if existentialism is a collective idealism. Mary

      Brian Leiter's work at Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
      http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/nietzsche-moral-political/

      On The Genealogy of Morals
      http://records.viu.ca/~johnstoi/Nietzsche/genealogytofc.htm
    • Jim
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 3, 2010
        Mary,

        You write:

        "Jim, I am somehow comforted by Alone's polemic and Tom's questions to you, because it seems you have no grasp of Nietzsche. You might do well to read the following, and then as a self-respecting solitary, decide if existentialism is a collective idealism. Mary"

        I am pleased to hear you are comforted by Alone's polemic and Tom's questions to me.

        As far as I am aware I have answered any questions Tom has asked me, but if you feel I have not, please tell me which questions you have in mind.

        I think I understand Nietzsche reasonably well – though if Wil or Hb3g were to criticise my interpretation I would go back to my Nietzsche texts and reconsider.

        Please pick out anything I have said about Nietzsche which you disagree with, and I will respond to your criticisms.

        I wonder if you have really understood my recent posts, as I do distinguish my own views from Nietzsche's. (I have used Nietzsche as a foil.) I have said I find Nietzsche too pro-individual and too anti-communitarian for my liking. I don't think this, in itself, disqualifies me as an existentialist. Not all existentialists turned their backs on questions of social policy the way Nietzsche did.

        I am not quite sure what you mean by suggesting that I view existentialism as a "collective idealism". Perhaps you could say in what sense you see me as arguing for "collective idealism", and why you think this is against the spirit of existentialism.

        Jim