My first message

  • Aime Casavant
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 1 6:05 PM
      This is my first message to existlist. My background is social
      studies with half a dozen or so college courses in philosophy.

      For most of my life, I wanted to know what it meant to exist. My
      first belief system was when I was a very young child and it included
      a hell with fire. At this very early age I became suspect of that
      belief because (with my concrete thinking and later abstract
      reasoning) I could not understand the physics of hell and later on,
      there was other beliefs with it that caused even more uncertainty.

      While snooping around various philosophy works and taking a few
      classes, I decided this question of existence was too big for the time
      I had at hand, so I decided to just accept Rene'Descartes starting
      point "I think, therefore I'am." That was many years ago - I decided
      that was the best I could do for the time being. I needed to work to
      feed myself and my family et. al. But I was always lured by Socrates
      statement that the unexamined life is not worth living.

      Now I'm 62 with a little more time on my hands. Throughout my life,
      with the little time available, I picked up a philosophy book. In the
      past several years as I read and thought, I decided that everything we
      think we know simply comes from our 5 senses, there may be a 6th sense
      in our ability to synthesize these (thinking) senses. Then we make up
      oog and awg sounds to explain this syntheses of senses and all that we
      think we know. Every thing we think know we just made up ourselves as
      human beings. Some we share with animals. If we say "fetch" to the
      dog, the dog runs after the ball. If a dog growls and snarls, it
      communicates to us humans that it is angry and might attack. My point
      is that everything we think we know comes from our 5 senses and is
      made up. We have made up everything. And we do not have the ability
      to know and understand any more than that. These human inventions of
      communication become social conventions.

      So back to meaning. What is the meaning of it all, this made up idea
      of existence? Well, its not difficult to understand where that took
      me. I decided that meaning and existence and all is just a made up
      concept - one of the oogs or awgs. Right now I'm into "meaning comes
      from within each of us, to the extent that it exists at all. We live
      our lives according to what it means to each of us individually but I
      believe I must take responsibility for all my actions which are based
      in my own meanings that I bring to my life. So I'm back into
      philosophy- right now Victor Frankl. One meaning I bring to my idea
      of existence is the limited explanation of the universe through
      science as explained by Carl Sagan. As far as some philosophical
      classification, I don't know what the hell (pardon the pun) I'am but
      it seems like an existentialist of some sort. My personal home brand.
    • Herman
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 2 12:35 AM
        Hi Aime,

        On 2 March 2010 13:05, Aime Casavant <aimecasavant@...> wrote:
        > This is my first message to existlist.  My background is social
        > studies with half a dozen or so college courses in philosophy.

        I just wanted to welcome you aboard before anything else. Any
        connection with the great Canadian organ building firm?

        Polly
      • Aime Casavant
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 2 9:50 AM
          Yes, its part of the geneology. My great grandfather was from St.
          Hyacinthe, Quebec but migrated to the U.S. about 140 years ago ....

          On Mar 2, 2010, at 2:35 AM, Herman wrote:

          > Hi Aime,
          >
          > On 2 March 2010 13:05, Aime Casavant <aimecasavant@...> wrote:
          > > This is my first message to existlist. My background is social
          > > studies with half a dozen or so college courses in philosophy.
          > >

          > I just wanted to welcome you aboard before anything else. Any
          > connection with the great Canadian organ building firm?
          >
          > Polly

        • Herman
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 3 2:46 AM
            Hi Aime,

            On 3 March 2010 04:50, Aime Casavant <aimecasavant@...> wrote:
            > Yes, its part of the geneology.  My great grandfather was from St.
            > Hyacinthe, Quebec but migrated to the U.S. about 140 years ago ....
            >
            > On Mar 2, 2010, at 2:35 AM, Herman wrote:
            >
            >> Hi Aime,
            >>
            >> On 2 March 2010 13:05, Aime Casavant <aimecasavant@...> wrote:
            >> > This is my first message to existlist.  My background is social
            >> > studies with half a dozen or so college courses in philosophy.

            A little something about myself. I go to pieces when I hear a skillful
            person playing on any creation of Casavant Frères, especially when the
            sound is shaped by a vaulted ceiling,

            I very much appreciated your introduction. If you or anyone else can
            shed further light on how it is that sensations can turn into
            problems, I remain all ears.

            Polly

            >> I just wanted to welcome you aboard before anything else. Any
            >> connection with the great Canadian organ building firm?
            >>
            >> Polly

          • Aime Casavant
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 3 8:01 AM
              I'm lost on your question - that is - "shed further light on how it is
              that sensations can turn into problems." Did I say anything like that
              or by some logical reasoning, suggest it? Or maybe it is another
              conversation you have going ....