Re: [existlist] Re: The power to select

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 1, 2010
      Hi Mary,

      On 28 February 2010 03:59, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
      > Polly,
      >
      > It seems our ability to create (in a Nietzchean, Camusian, or Sartrean sense) derives from genetic determinants and various environmental influences (Darwin, Mendel, Crick & Watson).
      >
      > I see struggle, conflict, and cooperation, as natural.

      That's a good way of putting it.

      > How does one shape a life without will and power?

      My view is that will and power are identical with craving, and that
      they precede the realisation of one's life. In other words, it is not
      I that wills or craves, but willing and craving that realises I.

      >What is of existential import is whether one is willing or even capable of expanding one's perception of self.

      And what if every perception of self turns out unsatisfactory?

      > My own results are mixed.

      Yes, mine too. I am becoming convinced that a satisfactory view of my
      self is structurally impossible.

      These words sum it up well:

      To be, or not to be: that is the question:
      Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer
      The slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,
      Or to take arms against a sea of troubles,
      And by opposing end them? To die: to sleep;
      No more; and by a sleep to say we end
      The heart-ache and the thousand natural shocks
      That flesh is heir to, 'tis a consummation
      Devoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;
      To sleep: perchance to dream: ay, there's the rub;
      For in that sleep of death what dreams may come
      When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,
      Must give us pause:

      Polly, who is not feeling morbid