Re: [existlist] Re: consciousness myth

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 168 , Feb 3, 2010
      Hi Mary,

      On 4 February 2010 02:45, Mary <josephson45r@...> wrote:
      > --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "tom" <tsmith17_midsouth1@...> wrote:
      >
      > <All this said, I am in favor of transforming dominance/submission relations into
      > win/win relations as much as anyone. As Einstein said,"Our technology has
      > exceeded our humanity".And it certainly seems that the future of humanity will
      > depend on the extent this gap can be closed. To the extent that it is closed,
      > evolving science and technology could create a heaven on earth. If not, and
      > evolving technology largely creates more lethal weapons and intrusive survalence
      > systems, the depressing predictiion of George Orwell"That if you want to imagine
      > the future, imagine a human face being crushed by a boot for all eternity.">
      >
      > Tom, I agree and see this sentiment and fear as the border of existentialism which once crossed is a personal journey, not a group or political one. If individuals can not free themselves from paradigmatic thinking, they will remain victims of it. Existential success is personal, but if it contributes positively to the group, that is a win/win. Mary

      Bill said a while ago that he was an island, or tried to be one, or
      something like that, and I could relate to that well. The
      dominance/submission hierarchy can be observed in action everywhere,
      but it can also be understood to be nature's Ponzi scheme, in a state
      of forever collapsing. I agree with you, Mary, that existential
      success is personal, and I think it would culminate in stepping
      outside of the Ponzi scheme. One cannot have freedom whilst limiting
      the freedom of others.

      Polly
      Message 168 of 168 , Feb 7, 2010
        Tom, existentialism for me involves less of the ideal and more of the practical pain/pleasure dynamic. Integration and cooperation as one's ideals do not resolve common relationship issues. You can appeal to these ideals for conflict resolution, but they never guarantee any success. Although existentialism is a discussion about alterity, it offers no ideals. Mary

        The nerd and the jock are the two stereotype extremes of thinking versus sensory motor functions.I believe the ideal is integration.