Re: consciousness myth

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 168 , Feb 3, 2010
      Mary,

      You write:

      "Tom, people in ivory towers also have chips on their shoulders and are not immune to relationship problems."

      "I added my opinion that idealists of any ilk have problems with communication and relationships."

      Are you claiming that academics and people who contribute to internet forums have chips on their shoulders, whilst non-academics and those who don't contribute to internet forums don't have chips on their shoulders?

      Also are you saying that people without any ideals at all are better at communication and better at forming good, long-lasting relationships than people with ideals?

      Jim

      Message 168 of 168 , Feb 7, 2010
        Tom, existentialism for me involves less of the ideal and more of the practical pain/pleasure dynamic. Integration and cooperation as one's ideals do not resolve common relationship issues. You can appeal to these ideals for conflict resolution, but they never guarantee any success. Although existentialism is a discussion about alterity, it offers no ideals. Mary

        The nerd and the jock are the two stereotype extremes of thinking versus sensory motor functions.I believe the ideal is integration.