Re: [existlist] Re: Buddhism and blindness to reality

  • Herman
    Message 1 of 168 , Feb 1, 2010
      Hi Tom,

      On 1 February 2010 11:10, tom <tsmith17_midsouth1@...> wrote:
      > Polly,
      >
      > You write
      >
      > I believe the onus is on those who
      > intuit that uncertain something beyond to justify why they are not
      > guilty of some idealist holism.
      >
      > But 20 minutes later u write
      >
      > I don't believe I am being reductive. Feel free to point out instances
      > as you see them occurring.
      >
      > The last response was in response to Jim suggesting he saw reductionist tendencies in what u write.
      >
      > I don't believe idealist holism is something to be guilty about; and I'd be curious how a world view could not contain some aspect of either holism or reductionism in its assumptions.

      Would you agree with the following, that the world is empty of what is
      not there? To me that continues into a worldview being meaningful when
      it is a reflection of what is there, not of what is not there.

      Polly

      Message 168 of 168 , Feb 7, 2010
        Tom, existentialism for me involves less of the ideal and more of the practical pain/pleasure dynamic. Integration and cooperation as one's ideals do not resolve common relationship issues. You can appeal to these ideals for conflict resolution, but they never guarantee any success. Although existentialism is a discussion about alterity, it offers no ideals. Mary

        The nerd and the jock are the two stereotype extremes of thinking versus sensory motor functions.I believe the ideal is integration.