upsurge of interiority

    Message 1 of 168 , Feb 1, 2010
      Polly and Wil, this is what I consider the* relevant existentialist discussion. Even if non-locality produces the phenomenon of quantum telepathy, it leaves us with the nothing of everything, a virtual chaos of conflicting and cooperating upsurge, similar to what we already observe. Mary

      --- In existlist@yahoogroups.com, "Sindarius" <eupraxis@...> wrote:

      Polly,

      The Question: "Is seeing everything in terms of the somatic reductive?".

      Polly: I don't believe it is. Seeing myself and others as worked matter as
      much as the environment against which we work is worked matter, is a
      coherent account of the world, IMO. I believe the onus is on those who
      intuit that uncertain something beyond to justify why they are not
      guilty of some idealist holism.

      Response: The question is 'what works the matter?'. When is it that matter has a
      purpose, a project, a sense of place and relation. Even the simplest microbe
      demonstrates this upsurge of 'interiority' such that we regard it as a fellow
      guest in this cosmos. While I do not ascribe to making of that guest a ghost in
      the machine, as they say, I do acknowledge that the machine-qua-machine cannot
      properly do justice to this apparent enigma.

      Secondly, what is matter, anyway? Quarks, which are themselves wiggles in the
      nothingness of space? Matter is no more than a question of bound acceleration
      and energy. It is nothing. This is expressed by both relativity and quantum
      physics. We cannot rely on classical notions of ontology where 'stuff' is an
      absolute of some kind. But we are not nothing, especially in relation to each
      other.

      Wil
      Message 168 of 168 , Feb 7, 2010
        Tom, existentialism for me involves less of the ideal and more of the practical pain/pleasure dynamic. Integration and cooperation as one's ideals do not resolve common relationship issues. You can appeal to these ideals for conflict resolution, but they never guarantee any success. Although existentialism is a discussion about alterity, it offers no ideals. Mary

        The nerd and the jock are the two stereotype extremes of thinking versus sensory motor functions.I believe the ideal is integration.