consciousness myth

    Message 1 of 168 , Feb 1, 2010
      Polly, for what it's worth, I completely agree with this. I almost said this to Jim in my post to him but thought it was implied. Do you have any ideas about how the need for an explanatory gap has developed? Is it our incessant need to understand why we can't control the cruelty, suffering or happiness of others? Mary

      OK. We agree that mind is a convenient fiction. But there is still a
      remainder of a dualist ghost that lurks, and that is the demon of
      consciousness. You write above about conscious and self-conscious
      experience. That is seemingly uncontroversial, but it is actually
      redundant to talk about conscious experience. Consciousness adds
      nothing to experience, and there is no unconscious experience. What is
      the case is that consciousness, like mind, is part and parcel of the
      dualist myth, and can be safely dispensed with. It describes nothing
      that is there, it merely injects what isn't there as explanatory gap.
      Message 168 of 168 , Feb 7, 2010
        Tom, existentialism for me involves less of the ideal and more of the practical pain/pleasure dynamic. Integration and cooperation as one's ideals do not resolve common relationship issues. You can appeal to these ideals for conflict resolution, but they never guarantee any success. Although existentialism is a discussion about alterity, it offers no ideals. Mary

        The nerd and the jock are the two stereotype extremes of thinking versus sensory motor functions.I believe the ideal is integration.