Re: Buddhism and blindness to reality

  • hb3g@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 168 , Jan 30, 2010
      Yes, "thingness" does not help us very much when it comes to the self. It seems not to be a "thing" at all. But, then, what is it? It can't just be nothing at all. Can it? After all, selves have real effects in the world and engage in real interactions with other selves. Don't they? Something is actually there. But it can't be a thing. What can it be?

      Hb3g

      Message 168 of 168 , Feb 7, 2010
        Tom, existentialism for me involves less of the ideal and more of the practical pain/pleasure dynamic. Integration and cooperation as one's ideals do not resolve common relationship issues. You can appeal to these ideals for conflict resolution, but they never guarantee any success. Although existentialism is a discussion about alterity, it offers no ideals. Mary

        The nerd and the jock are the two stereotype extremes of thinking versus sensory motor functions.I believe the ideal is integration.