Buddhism and blindness to reality

  • Jim
    Message 1 of 168 , Jan 23, 2010
      Polly,

      You write:

      "As I wrote earlier, I know for myself without any shadow of a doubt that happiness is not dependent on any situation external to me. It simply is not necessary to make associations and narrate the world in any particular way. In the gradual process of unlearning my habitual
      associations, there is peace/happiness/bliss in that ensuing silence. It is that state that I make the touchstone of my ethics. When that state is absent, I am doing something wrong. My state of being in the world is as accurate a barometer of how I am travelling ethically as is possible to obtain. Why would I go looking for something external to tell me how I am? How do you and others see this as an alternate approach?"

      What you write here and elsewhere, and what Tom writes, makes your relativism, your nihilism and your moral subjectivism understandable.

      I see now why both you and Tom see nothing intrinsically harmful about child sex abuse and terrorism.

      "Happiness is not dependent on any situation external to me", so the person who was abused as a child has no good reason to be unhappy; the person who has lost his legs to a terrorist bomb has no good reason to be unhappy. Those without food or shelter have no good reason to be unhappy. In fact, if they are unhappy IT IS THEIR OWN FAULT for not seeking enlightenment through meditation.

      I think your neo-Buddhism has distorted your perception of reality so that you are unable to appreciate the harm done to the powerless by the violent, cruel, sadistic, selfish, uncaring actions of the powerful.

      Jim
      Message 168 of 168 , Feb 7, 2010
        Tom, existentialism for me involves less of the ideal and more of the practical pain/pleasure dynamic. Integration and cooperation as one's ideals do not resolve common relationship issues. You can appeal to these ideals for conflict resolution, but they never guarantee any success. Although existentialism is a discussion about alterity, it offers no ideals. Mary

        The nerd and the jock are the two stereotype extremes of thinking versus sensory motor functions.I believe the ideal is integration.