Re: [existlist] assisted suicide

  • tom
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 22, 2010
      Mary,

      The interesting thing is that in dealing with many laws, the motive isn't so much what would be most reasonable and compassionate, but tricks for fattening the profits of certain groups, and expanding the employment ranks of various occupations.The fact that most people would have more money for health care spent on them in the last six months of their lives, than money spent until that time creates a situation where there is a great motivation by various health care providers to oppose anything that would give a terminally ill person more options. I personally think assisted suicide should be available to all adults for whatever reason. There could be a waiting period to make sure the choice wasn't the result of a temporary mood swing, but I certainly would prefer to have as much choice as possible, and certainly wouldn't begrudge others the same choice. Suicide options might also do a good bit to reduce other social problems.Thomas Jefferson said "I'd much rather have too much liberty than too little".

      Me too,
      Tom